Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what’s up guys,

this is my firs time posting to this forum and working on a Toyota. It’s my grandmas car so I got to fix it for her. I have a little experience working on old s10s. I got my first one running recently. Hopefully those skills will help me here.

Anyway, the car is a 95 Paseo. my grandma said she was driving and noticed the battery light was on and the temp gauge was overheating. I drove the car about a week before and noticed it was running cold. The temp gauge wasn’t even getting half way warm.

Today I changed the thermostat in hopes it would fix the problem but no dice. I was messing with the fuses under the hood for the fan and I’m about 80% sure it works fine. It kicks on when the AC is turned on and everything. Other than that, I’m guessing it could be the water pump. I want to double check but I don’t think the coolant level went down when I revved the engine.

Let me know if I’m heading in the right direction or if this problem is electrical or something else.

I appreciate the help in advance,
Yowakawaka

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
6,876 Posts
With the car at temp and the rad cap off you should be able to see flow.
Use a IR heat gun or thermometer in the radiator and check the temp and see how that comapres to the gauge. While the caps off look for excessive air or the appearance of an oil sheen. Do the same with the underside of the oil filler cap looking for water contamination and on the dip stick too. Any white smoke from the exhaust and is the heater/defroster still working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@sdspeed thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure I found the problem. I was poking around checking the thing you suggested. Added, last night I was looking why the battery light comes on (because the battery is not charging). So, I look at the alternator and bam! The belt is no where to be seen.
E7DE9AC5-167D-4595-BD0E-2CA91C644C51.jpeg

This question is a little premature because I haven’t done any research but is this a hard job? Also, is the alternator belt also what drives the water pump? Lastly, I’m guessing the water pump wheel is the bigger one to the right of the alternator wheel?

If anyone has a diagram of how this belt fits around the wheels, that would be cool!

Thanks for the help,
Yowakawaka

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
6,876 Posts
This is the water pump, it's most likely driven by the same belt as the alternator. There might be a diagram of the belt routing under the hood or look on line for and owners manual.
s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @sdspeed. I got both belts today. I figured I might as well change them both since I’m gonna be in there. Plus, I watched a video on YouTube and supposedly you need to take off the first belt to get to the other.

I’ll keep you updated,
Yowakawaka

1 - 5 of 5 Posts