Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine overheated due to lack of coolant when I was middle of nowhere so I filled water in, instead of coolant. The engine is still functional and when I'm driving, the temperature reading is in the middle of hot and cold, which is normal. But if I slow down or brake, the temperature goes up to the top. Would it be fine at this point to pump half of the water out of the reservoir so I can put the coolant and mix or do I have to drain out the whole system?

·
Registered
73 Posts
im not an expert but chemsitry stuff says they should seperate, and i dont think that would be a good thing

·
Registered
1988 AE80 Corolla
44 Posts
If I were youn I would replace cioolant etc and flush the cooling systemn ASAP........temps higher than normal can never be a good thing...

Cheers
DRaKeN

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You have too much coolant. 50/50 mix is correct, too much coolant and you start overheating. (by the way, check if the fan is working too).
Also the lack of coolant will do the same, coolant sort of raises the boiling point. Also when you refill the system, you need to turn the heater on full blast to get the air out.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Flashmn read his post it's a lack of coolant...

The car is overheating because you're not running enough air through the radiator low speed to keep the water from boiling in the block.
Don't worry about flushing.
Drain the radiator and fill it with a 3-1 mix of AF-water for a cold climate. If you live in a climate where it doesn't snow, I would use a 2-1 mix.
Redline watter wetter is awsome stuff too!

Turn your heater on full blast when you run the car and keep pouring water into the tank as it empties and fills air bubles in the system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts