Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 toyota celica gt, it has a radiotor that was put in less than a year ago. But it over heatswhen im cruisin around town, but when i'm on the freeway it stays cool...I dont know whats goin on, please help me!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
allright.... hears your check list.

watter pump
hose's
Thurmistat
coolent levels
coolent - (what type are you using, altho it shouldent have an afect)

·
^
4,197 Posts
Is it the 22R engine? They're notorious for leaking oil into the coolant. Aside from that, thermostat and check the fan to make sure its working at idle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its engine is a 20R, it does have a oil leak...

·
^
4,197 Posts
20/22R are the same, so yeah. Chances are that coolant and oil are mixing, shouldn't cause that much of a problem though. Check the rad fan clutch and thermostat.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
I had a truck that ran warm in town and the fan clutch was weak, you are not getting rid of the heat fast enough with a slow airflow and waterflow it sounds to me, try putting your hand carefully all over the radiator somehow while warm and running to see if there are any cold spots and hit it with a water hose if it gets warm, it should cool down real quick, also check the water pump impeller for missing blades, compare it with a new one, check the fins for dirt and grass, if you can easily stop and hold the fan while idling, the clutch is history, but be careful:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a 89 Celica you get the same problem if the A/C is on and the A/C booster fan is not working. It can fails due to the sensor, the wiring, or the bearing is siezed (rust), or the motor is burnt out.

By the same problem I mean it runs cool enuf at speed but in traffic or at idle the temperature soars.

Solution (temporary): don't use the A/C except at speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts