Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1990 4 runner with 22re engin and it ran fine and smooth at normal temperature as i drove it home for 300km at highway,as soon I arrived in my city the temperature went to red,so I stopped and saw that the water was boiling out,and i heard a loud hiss sound from the thermostat housing.I waited till engine cooled down put some water in the radiator and went home-the temperature was in the middle all the time ?!?
The next morning I went to the mechanics and everything was fine-temperature in the middle, fan working properly,until afternoon when I saw that temperature is going up again,so I stopped and saw steam coming out of the thermostat housing again and the water from the radiator went to the plastic container right next to it.I towed car home, and when I started it the idle was going up and down and steam out of thermostat housing,and the exhaust was puffing white smoke.I must tell that the mechanics tried to take thermostat out, but the screws were stuck and they were afraid to broke them,because the new thermostat will arrive in 8 days.
Could it be that the only problem is thermostat or the worst case my headgasket is blown-how could I tell?Why is my Idle suddenly going up and down? Please help!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my idle, when i changed the radiator and the thermostat, it stopped. i will be interested to know how you make out.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
You will need to drill out the bolt (or have someone do it for you) and if the threads get messed up, most auto parts have helicoils to re-thread the hole. Be careful if you DIY and use a sharp drill bit and good drill.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had that issue w/ 2 Toyota trucks I have had. The radiators are made of $hitty metal and corrode like crazy. I have never found a rad flushing product that worked. I have bought a larger radiator for both of them and the problem was solved.

Boil your thermostat in hot water on the stove and see if it opens to rule that out also.

Also go get one of the kits to test you coolant for fluorocarbons… the presence indicates blown head gasket… I have seen a small head gasket leak cause what your are describing also… it would suck to buy a expensive rad and find out that is not it…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The radiator is corroded inside.I'll change the tstat ,bleed the system and see what happens.I,m not sure if its smart to put the coolant inside because of possibility that i'll throw it in few days.is it safe to drive white water in my system ? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just fixed mine, bad plugged radiator and a bad head gasket. make sure your coolant is flowing when running. if not, remove the rad hoses and flush out the rad until water flows through it freely( not dribbling out when you pour it in it must gush) then if you see white smoke from exaust or if vehical uses coolant, change head gasket.. a fun job!!!! Worked for me just finished it at 6:30pm started at 11:30am.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to shop-they changed tstat and the rad cap-the truck ran fine for few days-temperature below half,and suddenly yesterday as I turned off the car I could hear gurrgling and hissing below the hood.I put the key into contact and saw thet the temperature was rising-not to the red but close.I turned on the car and let it idle and the temperature dropped.Is it possible that I have air in the system or is it a headleak.How to bleed the system properly? :confused: Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you put coolant in, let the vehical idle with the heat on in the truck, leave the rad cap off and fill up as necessary. when the vehical is hot check the coolant level in the overflow bottle to be sure that the level is correct. the air will purge from the system by gurgling out of the rad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts