Toyota Nation Forum banner

Override for Navi - v5.1 LOADING.KWI File

386K views 520 replies 173 participants last post by  blackcloud 
OK, so I got my new disc from Denso thanks to the dealer calling it in under the TSB. When I got my car, I immediately tried ot override, and it would not work. Now I am in the process of burning a hybrid, but I notice something interesting. The disc says "Data Version 5.1" on the bottom of it. I did note, however, that the loading.kwi file is 71 MB on the new disc.

Hmm, I wonder if they are also sending out v.5.1 discs with a locked down revision to the loading.kwi file? I am also going to ask why I didn't get a v.6.1 disc since that is the latest revision of map data.

Pill: What is the size fo your alldata.kwi file on 6.1? My new disc says 2.24 GB.

07camryxle said:
Excuse my ignaroance, but how do I do this? You mentioned that I needed to reauthort my 6.1 DVD. What does that mean? Do you have step by step procedures to use? I know how to burn a DVD and Download your file, but beyond that I am lost.

Sorry :(
It is just burning it. It will require a dual layer DVD burner and a dual layer DVD. By re-author he means you need to swap out the loading.kwi file. By changing the file, you are no longer merely burning, you are re-authoring the files. Make sense?

josh_carter said:
Might be a dumb noob question.. I just drove my car (07 ES 350) off the lot 3 weeks ago. When I go to the menu and select the map DVD button then hit the eject disk spot, I get a note that says there is no disk (I hear the sound of it searching for disk) but nothing ejects.

Do the new cars come with a DVD disk or is the software pre-loaded without a disk backup?

If it is a dumb question..please be kind....

Josh
If you have NAV, there should be a disc in the DVD slot.

Hmm, my Dell laptop has a Sony DL DVD burner. I wonder if mine will work.

I am also wondering about the fact that my 'new' disc says "Data version 5.1"

pillpusher84 said:
Hey --

I checked the alldata.kwi & file size of the v6.1 is 2.23GB

It is going to say data version 5.1 because the firmware (Loading.kwi) is still the v6.1, but the map data is the new map data v6.1

All this "hack" is doing is using the new v6.1 map data, but retaining the v5.1 firmware, which doesn't have the service menu disabled, and hence still allows us access to the override button.
What I mean by 'new disc' is the one I got from the dealer last week. It says 5.1 on the label.:confused:

pillpusher84 said:
I got ya ... I myself asked the dealer to order the new DVD under the TSB ... they gave me BS that it was backordered and I said fine ... order it & call me when it comes in ... to this day ... still on backorder according to them!

I think the whole TSB is bull ... My car has never shown up in the wrong place on the map .. and if it does ... all you have to do is recalibrate the GPS ... no need for a new disc.

My thoughts are that Toyota knows that people found access to the Service Menu & I believe that this TSB is their "fix" to prevent them from lawsuits. As far as the data version is concerned ... they are only replacing teh disc that was "defective" ... so they are replacing the v5.1 w/ an "updated" v5.1 ... you honestly didn't expect them to give you the milk for free when they could sell you the cow !!
They didn't take back my old 5.1 disc...so maybe I will put it up on Ebay or something.

What's interesting about my situation is both discs say V.5.1 but the 'newer' version won't give access to the service menu. The 'new' disc is compliments of Denso/Toyota and the Nav TSB.

CheapChic said:
what NAV tsb?
EL012-06 NAVIGATION SYSTEM SHOWS VEHICLE IN WRONG LOCATION
11/14/2006 - 2006 – 2007 model year 4Runner and Sienna vehicles equipped with the Toyota Navigation System produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB. 2007 model year Camry, Camry HV, and Solara vehicles equipped with the Toyota Navigation System produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

Some customers may experience a condition with their navigation system, where the vehicle icon is intermittently shown on the map in the wrong location. A special DVD map disc with a revised operating system has been developed to remedy this condition.

NOTE: If the customer has purchased a Gen 5 update disc after November 1, 2006, then this TSB is NOT applicable.

remydog said:
With all the struggles you have been experiencing, I called my local car electronics installer to discuss solutions. I have not yet purchased, but expect to pick up a HiHy in the next week or so. He suggested forgo the nav that comes from Toyota and instead purchase a Pioneer AVIC-D3 that installs right in the dash and includes nav, xm, bluetooth, backup camera, ipod connection and functionality and more. And it can be programmed on the fly! Cost -- $1500 including installation, etc. Still $500 or so less than the factory nav that has none of the other bells and whistles that Toyota should have included.

MSK
Of course a stereo shop is going to push an aftermarket product over OEM. The thing is, all the issues accounted for, an OEM has some intangible niceties that an aftermarket can't provide. I don't argue that an AVIC or Eclipse unit wouldn't provide more functionality and capability, but it isn't OEM and some people prefer it all to be a manufacturer serviced and backed thing. Not to mention it is better for resale.

pillpusher84 said:
the file i uploaded was the U30/U31 version .... what vehicle do you have & i'll tell you if it's compatible.
After making about 15 coasters, including some that were the same brand/process that worked for others, I have given up and succomb to using the v6.1 without override. It is very frustrating. Now I can't find my original 5.1 disc, so I can't even revert to the manual method.

I need a friggin LockPick. I think I will buy two when I get one for my new Sequoia.

I have another 'strange' scenario. As I mentioned in another post long ago, I thought my 'new' DVD (replaced under TSB) was v5.1

It is now confirmed. I have Data v5.1 and no ability to override. :cursin:

I bought mine on ebay. Total of about $140 with shipping.
Here is a current post of the same item.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-TOYOTA-HIGHLANDER-PAINTED-BODY-SIDE-MOLDINGS-2008_W0QQitemZ230235701087QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33654QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They took about a week to get in, the color match is perfect, they look good and took about 30-45 minutes to install.

Here is a link to their store on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/automotive-specialty/
What do body side moldings have to do with this thread???????
What's worse is it the link is to an auction listing for Highlander BSMs.

Advertisement. :rolleyes::ugh3:Blane

Wow, can you PM me or respond with some details? Last time I inquired with them they told me no Lockpick for Camry's.....did you simply buy the Prius 3+?
I just got this response from them today...

My email:
Will the lockpick work on the Gen. 6 Camry (2007+) navigation? If so, what things will it unlock such as removing the "I Agree" and in motion lock outs on functionality. Also, how about iPod connectivity and will that work if you have a Sat Radio tuner.

Their response
There are no available lockpicks for the Toyota Camry currently. Check back in the future because were always developing lockpicks. Thank you for your interest and have a great day.

--
Please let me know if i may assist you further. :D
Dawn
Coastal Electronics
Dawn@coastalEtech.com
www.CoastalEtech.com

I've had my car for two years and I didn't first use voice input for the navigation until about a month ago. I must say it has worked fine for me. Working with vocal recognition applications in the past, I know to speak a little louder and to somewhat over pronunciate. The only issue is it gets the road name wrong on longer less common road names about 10%-20% of the time. Not too bad in my book for a commercial/consumer application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.