Toyota Nation Forum banner

Override for Navi - v5.1 LOADING.KWI File

386K views 520 replies 173 participants last post by  blackcloud 
I have been working on this most of the day. This "hack" does work, not that I doubted it but in case someone else says it doesnt work, I am here to say it does.

However, I did have some trouble.

For some reason the DVD drive in the car will not read Office Depot brand DVD+R DL disks. Dont know why. After wasting about 10 Office depot disks, and trying two different DL burners, this is the hardware, software and media that worked for me...

LG GSA-E10L External DVD Burner
Verbatim DVD+R DL disks
Nero 7 Software

Burning the Office Depot disks with my dell DL drive, the data would show up on the disk (looking at it with my computer) but the car would simply say "unable to read disk" or Not a valid navigation disk.

This was very frustrating. Hopefully it works for everyone else on your first try.

Thanks a bunch to pillpusher84, his research and efforts have been a huge help.

I still am unsure why some disks work and others don't. UDF mode should be used because that is the format of the original disk. Like I said I went through at least ten disks trying different disk names,same name as original disk, different software settings, etc. I could not find a trend.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by your question, but if you are asking can you change the name of ANY of the files on the disk and have it still work. The answer is no.

Copy your 6.1 disk to a folder, and move the loading.kwi file to a different folder and change the name of that file to something like 'originalloading.kwi'. Download the replacement loading.kwi to somewhere on your computer, and then copy this downloaded file to the same folder that you copied your disk, resulting in all the same names of files in that folder as before. The only change is that instead of about 71 megs for the loading.kwi file its now 46megs.

Burn the new disk (the hit or miss part).

Troubleshooting tip...

If you havent yet tried to create the 'new' disk with the downloaded file try this:

Get your 6.1 disk and just create a back-up of that disk, using dvd/disk copy. Dont try changing any files or renaming stuff just create a backup disk.

If this works then you know atleast the drive and blank disks you are useing will work in the car.

Once that works, then you can proceed with replacing files, with confidence.

If this does not work, then you can focus on getting a drive, software and blank media that will work.

The verbatim disk worked for me, this does not mean you must use these disks...I am sure many brands will work.

Folks,

In my posts I say everything that I have done. I didnt change any settings or do anything our of the ordinary. I did use UDF. A disk copy should copy everything exactly like it is on the other disk to the new one...

I am out of suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.