Toyota Nation Forum banner

Override for Navi - v5.1 LOADING.KWI File

386K views 520 replies 173 participants last post by  blackcloud 
#1 · (Edited)
I have received numerous requests for how to make the v06.1 Navi DVD w/ the version 5.1 override capability. You will need to author a Dual Layer DVD+R w/ all the files from your v6.1 NAV DVD & replace the v6.1 loading .kwi w/ the v5.1 loading.kwi in the main directory of the DVD.

I just uploaded the loading.kwi file, and you can find the loading.kwi file here:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=255527

Look for the download button in the mess of all the ads ... sorry needed free file hosing for a 46MB file & this is the best I could do!

once you burn this new "hybrid" DVD, you can do the volume screen service menu procedure to get to the override button!

Good Luck ... this took a few tries to get it right, but I can verify that this procedure DOES Work ... I have been running this "hybrid" dvd now for about a month now on my XLE w/ no problems!!!:whatwhat:

Reactions: Kiwi Hobbits
#2 ·
OK, so I got my new disc from Denso thanks to the dealer calling it in under the TSB. When I got my car, I immediately tried ot override, and it would not work. Now I am in the process of burning a hybrid, but I notice something interesting. The disc says "Data Version 5.1" on the bottom of it. I did note, however, that the loading.kwi file is 71 MB on the new disc.

Hmm, I wonder if they are also sending out v.5.1 discs with a locked down revision to the loading.kwi file? I am also going to ask why I didn't get a v.6.1 disc since that is the latest revision of map data.

Pill: What is the size fo your alldata.kwi file on 6.1? My new disc says 2.24 GB.

#4 ·
07camryxle said:
Excuse my ignaroance, but how do I do this? You mentioned that I needed to reauthort my 6.1 DVD. What does that mean? Do you have step by step procedures to use? I know how to burn a DVD and Download your file, but beyond that I am lost.

Sorry :(
It is just burning it. It will require a dual layer DVD burner and a dual layer DVD. By re-author he means you need to swap out the loading.kwi file. By changing the file, you are no longer merely burning, you are re-authoring the files. Make sense?

#6 ·
Thanks for the clarification. What would be the procedures for swapping out the two files. Do I just delete the original file and insert the one that I downloaded.

Now I need a dual layer DVD burner...Off the circuit city; unleass someone wants to sell me one that they created :)

#7 ·
What software are you using to re-author it?

Do you first extract the 6.1 disc to a local folder on the HD, replace the load file, and use something like NERO to burn a new disc?

To to the inital extract of the 6.1 disc, do you just copy from DVD to HD or a software have to extract it?

#8 ·
kriskraut said:
I don't have a dual layer DVD burner, just a standard one that is on my laptop. So, can you "send" us a disk for "free" ?:) ?
I'm sorry ... but there is no way to prove that you own the v06.1 DVD, so by me sending out copies to people, I would be condoning FRAUD ... and I DO NOT condone software piracy!:eek:

I will however supply everyone with the v05.1 LOADING.KWI file, which is all that is necessary to mke yourself the new DVD w/ the OverRide Capability!

If you do not own a Dual Layer DVD Burner, I suggest that you go out and purchase one. I build & repair computers as my side-job, so I will give everyone a link to my wholesaler's website: www.antaresdigital.com ... If you would like to order a DL DVD+RW, it is very cheap ...

18X Lite-On DL DVD+RW is only ...$30.75 --- Link to Product Page
20X Lite-ON DL DVD+RW w/ LightScribe is only ...$41.75 -- Link to Product Page

compare this to CompUSA/BestBuy ... she is the cheapest that I've found around ... even check PriceWatch.com ... whereever you can get it cheapest ... go for it.

If you want to order... call their Toll-Free Number (888-269-8868) ... and Speak to Lili & she'll hook you up!

I'm only forwarding this info to anyone looking to upgrade for cheap ... I am posting this site as giving my feedback that they are a legit business w/ grest service ... I am not affiliated with or gain anything by you purchasing from here ... buy here ... buy somewhere else ... I DON'T CARE ... just offering my technical expertise!

#9 ·
smilepak said:
What software are you using to re-author it?

Do you first extract the 6.1 disc to a local folder on the HD, replace the load file, and use something like NERO to burn a new disc?

To to the inital extract of the 6.1 disc, do you just copy from DVD to HD or a software have to extract it?
1. Copy all file from v6.1 dic to a folder on your Hard Drive
2. Replace the LOADING.KWI in the folder on your hard drive w/ the one I've provided!
3. Use Nero (or your favorite software) to create a DATA DVD (Dual Layer of Course)
4. Add all the files from your folder to the DVD & BURN IT.
5. Remove your old NAV DVD & replace it w/ the freshly burned DVD into your NAVI (in car).
6. Do the volume screen override

Press Menu
(menu screen appears)

Press Volume
(volume screen appears)

Press upper left corner
Press lower left corner
Press upper left corner
Press lower left corner

(Service Menu will appear)

Press and hold Over Ride for a few seconds

NOTE: If you are unable to get the SERVICE MENU up w/ the above procedure, this means you are still running v06.1 firmware ... please disconnect your NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL & let the car sit for about 5 minutes ... then reconnect. This will clear out the NAVI's memory & when it comes back on, it will have to reload the firmware from your newly burned DVD, then the procedure should work!!

#235 ·
Okay, I did this...under linux:
dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/toyta.iso bs=1024

I end up with a proper image.

I used some free ISO editing software to:
Rename LOADING.KWI to LOADING.OLD
Add LOADING.KWI to the iso.
I saved the new ISO.

Burned it just fine with Nero for Linux.

Loaded it into my TCH. It was not recognized, so I pulled the "Radio" fuse for about 10 seconds and replaced it.

I stared the car and it read and load the new DVD. The OVERRIDE worked.

However, after I turned on the override, I noticed one major function missing: there was no "seclection area' available.

Press Destination. On the middle-right of the screen is the selection area (i.e. North East, Mid-Atlantic, etc.). However, mine is empty and the "Change" button (I think that was it) is there but pressing it does noting.

Anyone have any ideas why?

thanks

1. Copy all file from v6.1 dic to a folder on your Hard Drive
2. Replace the LOADING.KWI in the folder on your hard drive w/ the one I've provided!
3. Use Nero (or your favorite software) to create a DATA DVD (Dual Layer of Course)
4. Add all the files from your folder to the DVD & BURN IT.
5. Remove your old NAV DVD & replace it w/ the freshly burned DVD into your NAVI (in car).
6. Do the volume screen override

Press Menu
(menu screen appears)

Press Volume
(volume screen appears)

Press upper left corner
Press lower left corner
Press upper left corner
Press lower left corner

(Service Menu will appear)

Press and hold Over Ride for a few seconds

NOTE: If you are unable to get the SERVICE MENU up w/ the above procedure, this means you are still running v06.1 firmware ... please disconnect your NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL & let the car sit for about 5 minutes ... then reconnect. This will clear out the NAVI's memory & when it comes back on, it will have to reload the firmware from your newly burned DVD, then the procedure should work!!

#13 ·
Nav 6.1 DVD

Might be a dumb noob question.. I just drove my car (07 ES 350) off the lot 3 weeks ago. When I go to the menu and select the map DVD button then hit the eject disk spot, I get a note that says there is no disk (I hear the sound of it searching for disk) but nothing ejects.

Do the new cars come with a DVD disk or is the software pre-loaded without a disk backup?

If it is a dumb question..please be kind....

Josh

#14 ·
josh_carter said:
Might be a dumb noob question.. I just drove my car (07 ES 350) off the lot 3 weeks ago. When I go to the menu and select the map DVD button then hit the eject disk spot, I get a note that says there is no disk (I hear the sound of it searching for disk) but nothing ejects.

Do the new cars come with a DVD disk or is the software pre-loaded without a disk backup?

If it is a dumb question..please be kind....

Josh
If you have NAV, there should be a disc in the DVD slot.

#15 · (Edited)
I have been working on this most of the day. This "hack" does work, not that I doubted it but in case someone else says it doesnt work, I am here to say it does.

However, I did have some trouble.

For some reason the DVD drive in the car will not read Office Depot brand DVD+R DL disks. Dont know why. After wasting about 10 Office depot disks, and trying two different DL burners, this is the hardware, software and media that worked for me...

LG GSA-E10L External DVD Burner
Verbatim DVD+R DL disks
Nero 7 Software

Burning the Office Depot disks with my dell DL drive, the data would show up on the disk (looking at it with my computer) but the car would simply say "unable to read disk" or Not a valid navigation disk.

This was very frustrating. Hopefully it works for everyone else on your first try.

Thanks a bunch to pillpusher84, his research and efforts have been a huge help.

#18 ·
wireless said:
Hmm, my Dell laptop has a Sony DL DVD burner. I wonder if mine will work.

I am also wondering about the fact that my 'new' disc says "Data version 5.1"
Hey --

I checked the alldata.kwi & file size of the v6.1 is 2.23GB

It is going to say data version 5.1 because the firmware (Loading.kwi) is still the v6.1, but the map data is the new map data v6.1

All this "hack" is doing is using the new v6.1 map data, but retaining the v5.1 firmware, which doesn't have the service menu disabled, and hence still allows us access to the override button.

#19 ·
pillpusher84 said:
Hey --

I checked the alldata.kwi & file size of the v6.1 is 2.23GB

It is going to say data version 5.1 because the firmware (Loading.kwi) is still the v6.1, but the map data is the new map data v6.1

All this "hack" is doing is using the new v6.1 map data, but retaining the v5.1 firmware, which doesn't have the service menu disabled, and hence still allows us access to the override button.
What I mean by 'new disc' is the one I got from the dealer last week. It says 5.1 on the label.:confused:

#20 ·
wireless said:
What I mean by 'new disc' is the one I got from the dealer last week. It says 5.1 on the label.:confused:
I got ya ... I myself asked the dealer to order the new DVD under the TSB ... they gave me BS that it was backordered and I said fine ... order it & call me when it comes in ... to this day ... still on backorder according to them!

I think the whole TSB is bull ... My car has never shown up in the wrong place on the map .. and if it does ... all you have to do is recalibrate the GPS ... no need for a new disc.

My thoughts are that Toyota knows that people found access to the Service Menu & I believe that this TSB is their "fix" to prevent them from lawsuits. As far as the data version is concerned ... they are only replacing teh disc that was "defective" ... so they are replacing the v5.1 w/ an "updated" v5.1 ... you honestly didn't expect them to give you the milk for free when they could sell you the cow !!

#22 ·
pillpusher84 said:
I got ya ... I myself asked the dealer to order the new DVD under the TSB ... they gave me BS that it was backordered and I said fine ... order it & call me when it comes in ... to this day ... still on backorder according to them!

I think the whole TSB is bull ... My car has never shown up in the wrong place on the map .. and if it does ... all you have to do is recalibrate the GPS ... no need for a new disc.

My thoughts are that Toyota knows that people found access to the Service Menu & I believe that this TSB is their "fix" to prevent them from lawsuits. As far as the data version is concerned ... they are only replacing teh disc that was "defective" ... so they are replacing the v5.1 w/ an "updated" v5.1 ... you honestly didn't expect them to give you the milk for free when they could sell you the cow !!
They didn't take back my old 5.1 disc...so maybe I will put it up on Ebay or something.

#23 ·
wireless said:
They didn't take back my old 5.1 disc...so maybe I will put it up on Ebay or something.
why not? I'm sure someone will want it. Same Navi unit as the Solara & the 4runner. I'm sure one of those vehicle owners would want it

#24 ·
NAV DVD burning trouble

Like Mattbar1, I am having trouble burning a readable disk. I am using the Nero software that came with my external dual layer DVD drive. I am using Memorex DVD+R DL media. I will go out and buy some Verbatim disks tomorrow, but I am curious if there are any details to burning this that I could have omitted.

After replacing the loading.kwi file the new disk contained 212 files in 7 folders with a total size of 7,8803569,167 bytes. This exactly matches the original DVD adjusting for the difference in the file size of the one file that is different.

One thing I did that I was not certain of was I gave the disk the name: 464210-0790A which was how my original DVD shows up. No one mentioned the disk name, so perhaps this is not important. When I put the DVD in the car, it first says no DVD is inserted and then it says something like. Cannot read the Maps DVD, see your dealer.

I tried the trick of disconnecting the negative supply to force a reload, but it still could not read the disk. I put in the orignal disk and it said loading for a while and then was back to version 6.1.

Anyway, before I try burning different media brands, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.