Toyota Nation Forum banner

Owner's manual written by idiots

2020 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  jcme0557
My Camry's owner's manual, evidently, was written by idiots as most auto owner's manuals.

For instance: Display Audio System (Navigation System)

Why can they not write a segment without referring you to other pages (several pages before or after the page you are on? Page 33 (see page 58)--25 pages ahead, (see page 42)----9 pages ahead, (see page 53)-----20 pages ahead. Page 55 (see page 41)---14 pages behind, (see page 165)----110 pages ahead.

How does Toyota expect anyone to understand this crap?

Can the writers not stay on one subject until it's complete?

I am going on my first trip and I thought I'd use my navigation system. If I can't understand the so-called instructions, how does Toyota expect me to use my navigation system?

I gave up. I know my way without putting up with this stupidity.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Go Bolts!
1,182 Posts
I just download the PDFs for the manual by section and then when I saved each file I would name it to include which pages were in the section, i.e. (10-17) Quick Guide, (20-32) Nav Operation, etc., that way it's easier to reference multiple sections at the same time. Only took 10 minutes to set up. I would rather check out the manual on my PC screen as it is easier to read than looking at the small print in the manuals that came with the car. I also loaded the PDFs to my iPhone so I have a manual on the go that's easy to use.

Reactions: arh

· Premium Member
466 Posts
Agree the manuals jump around too much. Subjects are scattered all over the place. The writers probably know them by heart and know where every thing is. An owner is not going to study it to know where stuff is, most likely they will not take the time to look up the references. How many owners never look at the manual,,, saves them the agrivation!

· Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,306 Posts
I just download the PDFs for the manual by section and then when I saved each file I would name it to include which pages were in the section, i.e. (10-17) Quick Guide, (20-32) Nav Operation, etc., that way it's easier to reference multiple sections at the same time. Only took 10 minutes to set up. I would rather check out the manual on my PC screen as it is easier to read than looking at the small print in the manuals that came with the car. I also loaded the PDFs to my iPhone so I have a manual on the go that's easy to use.
I also down loaded the manuals. Much easier to search for something than use the book. They should just give out a DVD instead of a book. Include a postcard for those who need a book. Or, the dealer could have them in stock for free.

After a few things you really never need them again. after that:

Your better off using that manual to make a wobbly table level again.

· Go Bolts!
1,182 Posts
Hold on a minute, you mean you guys actually read the manual? I have yet to open it since I bought the car, if I need something I go to Google, Youtube and here at TN to ask questions.

I actually downloaded the manuals before I bought my '12 SE. That way I was able to find out all about the car before I test drove it so I knew how to use the nav system during my test drives and was able to determine if the nav met my needs.

Better than just buying the car with the nav and then finding out you don't like it and complaining about it, don't you think?

· M/T lover
'00 Echo
968 Posts
The problem might be that cars are too complicated nowadays to begin with. If the features you paid for need a manual to explain them, it either wasn't designed correctly, or shouldn't be in a car in the first place.

My rather cross $0.02 :D

· Registered
636 Posts
"Owner's manual written by idiots..."

..more accurately "because it will be READ by idiots." Funny thing is, the idiots (present company excluded) never read the manual. I guess you still have to try though.

As mentioned above, best way to learn the NAV system is to play around with it for awhile. There used to be a "quick start" guide of some sort that showed you basic stuff. Things like how to enter a destination address and set your "home" etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.