Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
06 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Tow
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a german shepherd / Lab mix and she was practically raised in the front seat of my trucks. Now that I have a new truck that came with bucket seats (last truck had a bench) my dog has had to adjust. I'm nervous that she's going to knock the stick into 4th gear or worse.

I could always make her get in the back but that wouldn't be right. My wife would have to move over (just joking, if there are any wives in this forum you can put the firearm away now, please...)

Just curious to hear from others and how they travel with man's best friend!

Chris

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
Dakoma said:
I could always make her get in the back but that wouldn't be right. My wife would have to move over (just joking, if there are any wives in this forum you can put the firearm away now, please...)

:clap:

·
Registered
21 Posts
my dog was a major part in my decision at to get a double cab as a posed to getting an access cab. anything for my buddy. he's a three year-old golden retreiver weighing in at about 80lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased ARE's Z Series cap for my Shepard and Collie to ride in the back. Too much dog for a small access cab. Much safer than letting them ride in the back without.

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
I have a 90# Lab. And a regular cab. I don't let him in the cab anymore. He has a tendency to scratch things up.
I put a Bed mat in the back so he wouldn't slide around. I attach him to the tie down. And he loves it.
When it gets hot. He climbs into the cab via the slider.
I think I am going to get a foldable canvas top for the bed. Either a Softopper

Or a BestTop

There both of similiar design. Except the BestTop has side windows. The Softopper doesn't.

This will not only be foldable and lightweight but but give the dog some air when needed. It would be nice to fold it towards the cab. In order to haul my Mountain Bikes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have an 80lb Chocolate Lab and a 50lb poi dog who would ride in the front seat with me in my 91 extended cab. I have to be careful not to drive by dogs or bicycles on the drivers side since the lab will lunge at the drivers window. There were some anal gland issues too. When I harnessed them up to ride in the back, the lab would jump all over the truck to get in, then jump with her front paws on the roof of the cab. So the old truck is pretty scratched up. I haven't taken them in the new truck for these reasons. I am going to make a cage for the bed. Basically, tall enough for them to stand that mounts on the rails in the back by the tailgate which becomes the door. I have a divider from Toyota to slide between the wheel wells. This would be light weight and easily removable. It would sort of look like an upside down version of the cargo racks. The dogs are the only reason I haven't sold the old truck yet. Those canvas tops look very interesting.

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
koa said:
I have an 80lb Chocolate Lab and a 50lb poi dog who would ride in the front seat with me in my 91 extended cab. I have to be careful not to drive by dogs or bicycles on the drivers side since the lab will lunge at the drivers window. There were some anal gland issues too. When I harnessed them up to ride in the back, the lab would jump all over the truck to get in, then jump with her front paws on the roof of the cab. So the old truck is pretty scratched up. I haven't taken them in the new truck for these reasons. I am going to make a cage for the bed. Basically, tall enough for them to stand that mounts on the rails in the back by the tailgate which becomes the door. I have a divider from Toyota to slide between the wheel wells. This would be light weight and easily removable. It would sort of look like an upside down version of the cargo racks. The dogs are the only reason I haven't sold the old truck yet. Those canvas tops look very interesting.
Eh! where you stay cuz. I stay Lahaina side for 10 years. Move to the Mainland 2001. Aloha

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a boxer who has not yet been in my truck. Those of you that have boxers probably know why. Those that don't to put it simple there pretty much retarted. Jump all overthe place and stuff like that. I had no probs lettin her in the jeep because well, it's a jeep it was made to beet up. I saw this cool thing from performance products that ataches to the back head rest on the front seats and the top of the head rest in the back seats and acts as a shield to keep the dog in the back. It's kinda like a big cloth u shape thing pretty cool for those that want to keep the seats and dash clean. I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit: It was cabellas. Here is the link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0019307617512a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=pet+&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=pet+&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

Russ

·
Registered
75 Posts
My setter gets the back seats now (she's too big for the bucket seat up front) in my double cab, folded down, with 3 blankets and a couple of pillows. No, she's not spoiled. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
308 Posts
my 70 lb bulldog and akita-chow mix normally ride in the back of my access cab with the bench folded down. Both are way to retarded to safely ride in the bed with or without a cab. I carry around an old bedsheet to keep the hair under control (the bulldog sheds like none other). When i'm carting around just one dog it's usually on the front seat (with bedsheet). If i keep the window down they don't wander over the console/shifter or onto my side that much.

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
koa said:
Must have been the mention of a poi dog, or the pig hunters dog cage.

Some thirty years on the west side, Makaha, last 5 years in Honolulu for my kid's school and wife's work.

Here's a video of that Bestop.

http://www.bestop.com/jeep-accessories/tacoma_accessories_vid_sft.html
Aloha Koa

Many Mahalo's for the BestTop video link.

Somehow I missed that video on there site. I think that pretty much sold me on it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
317 Posts
I folded down the back seats of the double-cab and put a couple blankets for my 2 dogs to ride with me. A 48lb and 35lb

I am planning to make up a top for the bed so they can stay in the bed, when the truck is parked, to provide shade especially when weather gets warmer. Those soft top looks pretty good too.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
russ25nys said:
Is that yellow a factory color ?
I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. It looks someone got crazy with the photoshop.

Or they are using a Tacoma for Baywatch: The Movie.

G

·
I have an 80lbs Lab = http://gsthunder0.tripod.com

In all my other trucks they had front bench seats and thus he always rode up front with me. Unfortunately I could not find a Tacoma with a bench seat in it up here that was an auto and a DC. I wanted the DC anyway. Thunder now rides in the back( in cab on back seat ). He doesn't like it and neither do I but no choice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
German Wirehair Pointer (Draathar): Della is 60 pounds of muscle and rides in the bed of the truck now which is covered by a Leer topper. She was shedding too much hair in the backseat. She does just fine back there.​

·
Registered
Tacoma regular cab
125 Posts
NH05TACOMA said:
I have an 80lbs Lab = http://gsthunder0.tripod.com

In all my other trucks they had front bench seats and thus he always rode up front with me. Unfortunately I could not find a Tacoma with a bench seat in it up here that was an auto and a DC. I wanted the DC anyway. Thunder now rides in the back( in cab on back seat ). He doesn't like it and neither do I but no choice.
Nice looking lab!!!!
And a great website.

Here is mine

I am working on a site for him also.

And I have decided to get the BestTop Canvas top. It should work out pretty well I think

·
Registered
309 Posts
http://gsthunder0.tripod.com

That's quite a dog you got there NH05TACOMA, very impressive. Labs are cool. I took care of my friends lab, Dutch (He's the reason I got my lab). He would dive down about six feet in the ocean and retrieve rocks as big as his head. All his teeth were broken since he would do it by himself. My daughter would hold his tail and he'd swim her all over the place. He finally died lost at sea from my friends dive boat at 13 years old off the Honolulu airport. Never found him, so he still might be out there swimming. My friend ended up doing himself in awhile after Dutch died. If it wasn't for that dog it probably would have happened a lot sooner.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts