Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell us if there are issues with clothing bleeding into the leather seats?
Is this preventable?
Can they be cleaned/conditioned to remove bleeding?

Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
Highlander
117 Posts
I've had my HL for over a week, and have not noticed any color bleeding from clothing yet. If it does happen, I would think a leather cleaner would take care of it.

sent from my mobile

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven't had a problem, however, I am careful about wearing jeans ( dark ones) until they are washed alot. I have friends that have other vehicles where the dye from jeans does come off on their light colored interior.

·
Registered
Highlander
117 Posts
Now that I've had my car for almost 3 mos and just hit 2k miles, I'm finally starting to notice some discoloration on my seats. Probably color transfer from clothing and dirt. I've already picked up some Lexol (cleaner and conditioner) to clean the seats when I'm ready :)

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,053 Posts
Generally perforated can crack faster than solid. It is more a breathable seat and seat coolers work properly with it. I'm sure it will hold up for years with no issues in most climate conditions. But if you keep your car parked outside in the summer SoCal summers, expect it to crack at some point. Thats when you just slip on new leather skins for a couple grand.

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
Perforated leather seats can apparently benefit more than solid leather seating, from leather moisturizers/elixirs, as the holes expose the edge grain and also allow elixir to seep onto the bottom side of the untreated leather.

I'm not very convinced these elixirs do much for solid leather seating, other than clean and treat the colorant on the leather. Wouldn't appear much, if any elixir reaches the actual leather.

Reactions: Phil Indeblanc

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perforated leather seats can apparently benefit more than solid leather seating, from leather moisturizers/elixirs, as the holes expose the edge grain and also allow elixir to seep onto the bottom side of the untreated leather.

I'm not very convinced these elixirs do much for solid leather seating, other than clean and treat the colorant on the leather. Wouldn't appear much, if any elixir reaches the actual leather.
Ok
But isn't the leather seating porous to where it could soak in conditioner?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

The perforated seats are more prone to collecting various materials--crumbs from the snacks the kiddos/adults eat, body secretions (sweat), cleaners and protectants, etc, and store them for later. :D

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
Ok, But isn't the leather seating porous to where it could soak in conditioner?
Well, if you look into it, most car seating is "pigmented" and not dyed or aniline leather. Pigmented leather has a topcoat applied which makes it more abrasion and stain resistant. From what I've read, the topcoat on most vehicle seating applications is fairly heavy to provide a very even color/tone. The heavy topcoat seems to seals most/all of the leather pores, thus inherently prevents most substances from penetrating into the leather itself.

From my own experiments, no leather conditioner made any difference at all to the pliability or crack resistance of my '02 HL leather. At most it cleaned the topcoat and maybe made it more resistant to future stains.

That's why I looked into the composition of the topcoat and determined that latex paint; in my case exterior eggshell was excellent to cover and stabilize cracks and areas where the topcoat was worn off.

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
The perforated seats are more prone to collecting various materials--crumbs from the snacks the kiddos/adults eat, body secretions (sweat), cleaners and protectants, etc, and store them for later. :D
No argument, there. Oh, you forgot fart oozings. :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
so far no issues with getting stains on mine. I wear bluejeans all the time too even in the summer on some days.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leather update

Anyone examine their perforated almond seats and determined they need a light cleaning? Especially the left driver side which is rubbed when entering and exiting? Mine after 3 months looks like it could use a quick cleaning? Not really noticeable to many but I can tell.
I have not worn jeans due to summer also?
Just looking to get a good maintenance product?
Went to Pep Boys today. Too many choices?
Suggestions I am getting are Maguires maybe Lexol?

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,053 Posts
Its true as AVConsult said that the perforated does take the conditioners by absorption vs the coated automotive leathers that don't. But the perforated may breakdown faster . This is over years of use, and often unintended abuse. If you take care of them, they will serve well.

True about some debri can get in, and you might have a longer lingering odor with perforated, as the foam can suck up and trap such gases longer...hehehe

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this issue with a few Volvos I owned with the light interior. The seats would turn a light blue from my jeans. It wasn't anything that didn't come off with a cleaning solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.