Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Toyota is the "daddy" of Lexus, should the cost of owning/maintaining a Lexus be much more than a Toyota? For example, I own an 03 Camry and say I want to upgrade to an ES300, would the cost of ownership be much different? I know that parts would be considerably more, because it is a Lexus, but would "maintaining" it be more? If so, what extra maintenance must be done in general to own a Lexus over a Toyota? Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Also, my previous post was regarding service on the Camry, and I currently have 36,000 miles on it and have not flushed the tranny. Is it too late??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
because the lexus is branded a "luxury" car...expect to pay higher than normal prices for parts and service from the dealership....

·
Registered
49 Posts
03ESimposter said:
I own an 03 Camry and say I want to upgrade to an ES300, would the cost of ownership be much different? Thanks

From my understanding, the ES300 is a Camry, simply rebadged and different front/rear fascias. There are few cars (besides Lexus of course) that would be of such peerless quality, ride better, or have the levels of NVH that my Camry does. I don't see the reason to drive any other 4-door sedan.

Sly

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Not if you don't go to a Lexus dealer for service. They're notoriously expencive, HOWEVER, It does sometimes pay to do it! There are a lot of instaces where they'll give you a new GS430 or IS300 to pimp around in for a day or two if they need to keep the car.

Just find a qualified Toyota service department, or an Indipendant Toyota technition.

($4 Large Camry v6 filter is worth $31 at a Lexus dealer)

·
Princess Leadfoot
659 Posts
The dealership will always rip you off... but they do have good service... they clean your car inside and out, and yes, they give pretty good loaner cars as well. But for $300 per maintenence, not worth it to me...

·
Registered
440 Posts
The dealer figures if you can buy a new lexus for 40-50k you dont care about having expensive maintenance. Kind of sucks for those of us who have used ones and want top notch serivce.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fresco Bob said:
insurance will also be a lot more
That might not be the case. I have a 2001 Lexus IS300 and I am paying CAD$1800 fully cover. ( before i had a 92 VW Cabriolet and was paying CAD$2200/ third party only)

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^what was the time period difference between owning the two cars??.....that plays a factor in insurance costs..u could have owned the VW when u first started driving which would mean high rates....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just came back to toronto 18 months ago. I have about 16 years of driving. But when I told this to the insurance company, they said that it doesn't count oversea. I lived in Canada from 87-95 and had driven two cars. (Swift GT and VW Cabriolet/my first one)For swift I was paying about CAD$3000 and when I switched to Cabriolet. I had to pay CAD$5600.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My insurance went down after I got rid of a 2000 Chevy Cavalier by about $300 USD. The Cavalier is considered an "unsafe vehicle" :lol: The crash test ratings, under "Side Impact" were "Very poor: High likelyhood of pelvic injury"

·
Registered
643 Posts
Actually Q you are wrong when it comes to the price of parts, they cost teh same as toyota ones as tehy use the same part numbers to cross reference on all models that use the same parts.
Since he is asking about an ES it is teh same drivetrain parts.
The dealers labour prices are more but teh pars are the same which is pretty cheap for what you get.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
My father works at a lexus dealership, and admits that the mechanics charge way too much for basic jobs. Although, the service at a lexus dealership makes it all worth it. They do quality jobs, the dealership itself is classy, and usually they'll rent you out a car until your car is finished being worked on.

I.e., you could be pimping that sc430 til your es is done :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
The benefit of owning a car that was previously owned by a wealthy owner is that it's had very good maintenance,garaged, at least that's what I found with 90% of the SC400s that I looked at.
The car is still de-valued because it's ten years old, but it's had nearly everything replaced, and is ready to go another 120K.
I won't do the dealer again, Lexus of Seattle was just too sleazy for me.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
troy said:
My father works at a lexus dealership, and admits that the mechanics charge way too much for basic jobs. Although, the service at a lexus dealership makes it all worth it. They do quality jobs, the dealership itself is classy, and usually they'll rent you out a car until your car is finished being worked on.

I.e., you could be pimping that sc430 til your es is done :D

are you telling me if i let a lex dealer change the TB on my 90 es250, that they will let me pimp an is300 for a few days?? that'd be sweet!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Depends on the dealer, some local owners with older cars get new loaners for free for the day while they get theirs fixed, others won;t even give it teh free cars wash like they are supposed to.

·
Princess Leadfoot
659 Posts
Yep depends on the dealer, plus you don't get to pick which loaner you get. So you may end up with an RX or ES... I've never gotten an IS as a loaner but know others who have. They are usually the newer models though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts