Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have a low mileage 2009 Corolla S and the check engine light came on last week. I scanned for codes and got P0031 - H02S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
The dealer quote was near $500CAD, so im leaning towards diy if possible which is why im here.

The question is how hard of a repair is this and where exactly is the upstream oxygen sensor on the 09 corolla? Pictures or link to a video showing repair steps would be very helpful.
I've been able to find videos for the downstream sensor and for other model corollas but not ours.

Also what would the part number be for the sensor?

All help is appreciated.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,960 Posts
The upstream O2 sensor is located on the exhaust header or close to it. Looks like a finger sticking out of place.

The downstream will be before the cat converter.

You will need a o2 sensor socket that most auto stores will loan out.

Do you have torque pro or bluedriver apps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe my brother has an o2 socket so that's covered. I don't have those apps any reason I would need them? I just have a standard obd scanner.

What is the recommended replacement part? The dealership says the part number is "TO89465-02330, OXYGEN SENSOR".
Rockauto has a ntk and denso part. The ntk looks more like the dealership part where as the denso has a shield on it but I've read that denso is the oe so im confused.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,960 Posts
Here you go. These are the OEM parts numbers. When possible, go with Denso brand.

Downstream O2

Upstream O2

For some reasons, which I can't explain, the ECU is more sensitive to other brands. I have not experienced this issue.

Edit : You should look at some videos put out by Pine Hallow Auto Diagnostics. They do a better job of diagnosis and explanation. Does your scanner do freeze frame? Can post screen shots of this info will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the scanner is a innova 3110 and my brothers so im not sure. ill have to ask him this weekend.
I noticed the dealership gave me the part number for the downstream sensor which is why I was confused by the different look compared to the denso. I assume they cost similar so their estimate should be relatively accurate.

Also if anyone can post a picture of where the upstream sensor is that would be super helpful. I cant seem to find its location so im not sure if it has to be accessed under the car or something needs to be removed to locate it.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,960 Posts
The upstream O2 sensor is under the exhaust heat shield. Look near the collector or near the flange.

Sorry no picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to find it. Not really in the most accessible area. What's the recommended way to reach the sensor easily?
I was thinking of removing the engine filter lid or entire housing but if there's a better way I want to know.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,960 Posts
Can you post a picture of the upstream O2 location?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts