Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the daylight was fast disappearing and so was my patience, but my attempt to find and loosen the PS pivot bolt on my '99 was frustrating, so I gave up for the day. I'm not in any hurry, so I could walk away rather than keep trying.

I tried a search, but it appears I'm the first to have trouble with this faster on a gen 1 Avy.

A couple of questions:

First, can anyone confirm that the pivot bolt fastener I want to loosen is located about 100 degrees counterclockwise from the adjusting bolt, not something close to 180 degrees?

Second, is there an easier way than an open-end/box wrench, or ratcheting version of either, to remove it? Like, cutting the belt to be able to line up a pully hole with the fastener, to allow use of a socket?

Thanks in advance for any info/tips.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well, the daylight was fast disappearing and so was my patience, but my attempt to find and loosen the PS pivot bolt on my '99 was frustrating, so I gave up for the day. I'm not in any hurry, so I could walk away rather than keep trying.

I tried a search, but it appears I'm the first to have trouble with this faster on a gen 1 Avy.

A couple of questions:

First, can anyone confirm that the pivot bolt fastener I want to loosen is located about 100 degrees counterclockwise from the adjusting bolt, not something close to 180 degrees?

Second, is there an easier way than an open-end/box wrench, or ratcheting version of either, to remove it? Like, cutting the belt to be able to line up a pully hole with the fastener, to allow use of a socket?

Thanks in advance for any info/tips.
I'll have to look but 100 degrees CCW sounds right. It is a PITA. I forget if it is 12 or 14mm (I'm thinking 12) but I took a long socket and ground it down to the right length which made the job pretty easy. A standard socket was too short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.