Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Making progress

Okay....

So today we replaced the Echo's fuel injectors with the eBay refurbs and things are definitely looking better if not perfect. At first, we didn't seat the injectors properly and had a bunch of fuel leaking around the fuel rail. Disassembled everything again and reset everything and everything looked good. Ran the engine till warm and then took it for a 20 minute spin. On the positive side of thing, LTFTs are down and the P0171 pending code did not yet return. On the not so positive side of things, LTFTs are not just down but they are way down (down to -32.0 in idle and only peaking over 0 a few times, even when the car was up to speeds of 60 mph). See the attached log of our trip.

My guess is that one or more of the refurbished injectors is leaking though not fast enough to be easily noticeable. Maybe a bad o-ring or just a bad injector.

For now, I've asked my son to drive the car 100 miles and if no CEL returns, he is to have it emissions tested so that we can get that out of the way. Even if he passes, I'm thinking we will still need to address the low LTFTs sometime in the near future. May just have a couple of the old injectors ultrasonically cleaned and fitted with new filter baskets and o-rings and then some time over the summer, revisit this project.

But I think that, at least for now, we have made a step definitely in the right direction.

Attachments

·
11,331 Posts
Unfortunately not really an option. He had sunk most of his savings into buying the car and has had it for less than 18 months. And besides this one pain of a problem, the car has been running fine.

As for me....I just want a solution to this puzzle already.

That's understandable.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts