Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a 07 Toyota Rav4. The other day I got the error code P0335 "Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" " thrown at me, but was not noticing any stalling or weird car starts.

Today, I go to get in my car to go to autozone to buy the crankshaft sensor, and my car started, it lugged along a little bit on the start,but started in about 2-3 seconds. It sounded a little strange so i wanted to start it again. Shut it off, and turned it back on but this time it does not start. All electronics come on, but nothing from the engine. The code is still there on the car. No clicking, no sounds what so ever. Just wont turn on.

I know I need to replace the sensor, but i'm wondering if that is the cause of the car not starting? Also, I am no mechanic, but it seems like I need to take apart the air cooling system to get to the crankshaft sensor if i'm not mistaken? If that is the case, i'm not so sure I am capable of doing that. As I would still love to have air conditioning in my car.

Any tips, pointers, anything would be awesome. I'm kind of at a loss right now on what to do. I'm on a budget, so I really can't spend $150 on a towtruck, $200 for diagnostics and ~$300+ for parts/labor.

· Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
4,098 Posts
"No clicking, no sounds what so ever. Just wont turn on. "
If engine cranking but not starting verify that there is /not a RPM signal seen on your scan tool.
If not then suspect crank sensor/circuit.
Before replacing sensor measure the circuit/sensor for resistance around 1000-1500 ohms.
Should be a crank circuit connection near the alternator that you can disconnect to measure resistance.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've run into the same situation. I'm replacing my Alternator and serpentine belt as well. But do I need to remove the AC unit on my 07 RAV4 V6 in order to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor?
yes, you will have to remove the AC unit that’s under the hood to replace the crankshaft position sensor. I got all the way to the point of getting to the crankshaft, and there is a specific tool you will need to unbolt it, which I did not have and was about an extra $100 at autozone. decided to take it to a local repair place, they charged me $80 for the labor, and I was good to go. Once that was replaced the car has ran fine. AC unit can be tricky, and you can really mess some stuff up there, so be cautious. If you have any other questions let me know.

also, just be weary, it’s not the camshaft sensor for that code, it’s the crankshaft sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.