Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Matt D
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Solara 4cyl. I bought the car with the EGR code and a o2 sensor code. I replaced the EGR valve and cleaned the filter on the vcc and replaced the o2 sensor. That got rid of the codes for a lil while but the EGR code keeps coming back. The o2 sensor code is gone but now instead I have this p0420 code and of course the p0401. I need to get this thing through emissions soon. Any ideas on an underlying issue? Not sure what to do anymore about the EGR and idk y this p0420 catalytic issue came about!!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,575 Posts
Clogged EGR passages in the engine?
I've used a wire coat hanger to unclog them on another vehicle brand.

I suspect they're more prone to clogging if the valve has been inoperative for a lengthy time. When I dealt with it, I probably didn't get the passages all the way clean, but the restored EGR flow finished the job - I saw that when I later took it apart.

· Administrator
14,732 Posts

· Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,920 Posts
I replaced the upstream sensor. Not sure of the brand. Purchased from Rock Auto but I made sure the part # matched
And did that solve your engine codes?

The other thing you can experiment with is an oxygen sensor simulator:

· Matt D
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It got rid of the o2 sensor code but then I got this cat code and the EGR code keeps coming bk no matter what I've done. Replaced the EGR valve cleaned out the vacuum Controll valve and poked and prodded and sprayed the manifold

· Matt D
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking maybe it's the downstream sensor but I ran the live data and it seemed like they both are doing what they're supposed to be for the most part. Maybe it is the cat. But then again I don't see or feel a decrease in performance the car runs very well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.