Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a p0401 code today (EGR flow insufficient) and was wondering what to do from here. 2.2l 4cyl 5s-fe. should i remove it and clean it or replace it? and how do i remove it?

thanks

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
I would start with cleaning both the EGR valve and the Modulator. When you put the EGR valve back on, make sure you use new gaskets.

·
Registered
1987 Celica ST
260 Posts
Ditto what Toyopartsman said. While I know it is a different car, my mom has a Honda Accord that threw a P0401 CEL. I took her EGR valve off, saturated it with Chemtool B-12 throttle body cleaner for a while, ran pipe cleaners into it until they would come out clean, made sure everything was cleaned well, used a new gasket, replaced it and cleared the code. She has not had it come back on yet (and it would come back on after only 3 or 4 four miles when all I did was clear the code before). Easy fix. And the dealership gave her a work order for $360 when she went in to get them to read the code. And no, that didn't include replacing the EGR valve with a new one, but a "cleaning." Cleaning out your wallet is more like it.

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Very likely this is VSV. Three tests can be done:
1) resistance between terminals should be around 36 Ohm
2) Applying 12 V should produce "click"
3) If close one port and apply vacuum to another it should hold it (very important test, since even if first two succeeded but this one failed - the VSV is crap).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can i just drive with this code on or am i doing any damage to anything. everytime it comes back on i just clear it, is taht a stupid move or do i not have to worry about anything.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
can i just drive with this code on or am i doing any damage to anything. everytime it comes back on i just clear it, is taht a stupid move or do i not have to worry about anything.
The only thing that will hurt IF ANYTHING is your fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To fix the code P0401 and P0446 on a Toyota Camry or Solara you will need to buy two parts (and no you don't have to replace the EGR Valve):

1. EGR VSV (Vacuum Switch Valve) part# 90910-12080 to get rid of the P0401 code * Located behind engine. Around $50 bucks.

2. Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV (Vacuum Switch Valve) part# 90910-12271 to get rid of the P0446 code (and also P0440, P0441) It is located on the bottom rear of the car near the Charcoal Canister (and no you don't have to replace the Charcoal Canister). Around $60 bucks.

*You might also need to replace the EGR Vacuum Modulator part# 25870-74090 if the P0401 code comes back. You can pop the hood and replace that by hand, it's easy. Around $60 bucks.

Try not to buy these at the dealer since they like to rip people off. After you get the parts (don't buy used since these parts get carbon dirty!), pay a mom and pop mechanic for the labor to do it since you don't have tools and a jack/lift for access, and they are much cheaper than the dealers.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
While dlaughingman is entitled to his opinion about Dealers, I do want those members who have not had the chance to see some of my posts, to know that I do offer 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costst plust $1.0 -$2.00 for materials, etc. I also have on more than one occassion offered opinion, information, links, etc. I am truly in here to help all of the TN members. So while some of the members may have had bad experiences, you won't have one with me. So if you want genuine OEM parts at a reasonable price, and some expert advice and service, please don't hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you all.

To fix the code P0401 and P0446 on a Toyota Camry or Solara you will need to buy two parts (and no you don't have to replace the EGR Valve):

1. EGR VSV (Vacuum Switch Valve) part# 90910-12080 to get rid of the P0401 code * Located behind engine. Around $50 bucks.

2. Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV (Vacuum Switch Valve) part# 90910-12271 to get rid of the P0446 code (and also P0440, P0441) It is located on the bottom rear of the car near the Charcoal Canister (and no you don't have to replace the Charcoal Canister). Around $60 bucks.

*You might also need to replace the EGR Vacuum Modulator part# 25870-74090 if the P0401 code comes back. You can pop the hood and replace that by hand, it's easy. Around $60 bucks.

Try not to buy these at the dealer since they like to rip people off. After you get the parts (don't buy used since these parts get carbon dirty!), pay a mom and pop mechanic for the labor to do it since you don't have tools and a jack/lift for access, and they are much cheaper than the dealers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't worry, you won't lose your job.

While dlaughingman is entitled to his opinion about Dealers, I do want those members who have not had the chance to see some of my posts, to know that I do offer 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costst plust $1.0 -$2.00 for materials, etc. I also have on more than one occassion offered opinion, information, links, etc. I am truly in here to help all of the TN members. So while some of the members may have had bad experiences, you won't have one with me. So if you want genuine OEM parts at a reasonable price, and some expert advice and service, please don't hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks TOYOPARTSMAN :chug:, if only all dealerships had that same fair cost mentality. But as far as labor costs, you can't compare to mom and pop shops.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
:chug: No you can't, you are absolutely correct on that one.
Thanks TOYOPARTSMAN :chug:, if only all dealerships had that same fair cost mentality. But as far as labor costs, you can't compare to mom and pop shops.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I agree with Nervous. And even then, CLEANING emissions parts can save you some cash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts