Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 1997 Rav4. The engine light was on so I had the code check by the Toyota dealer and they said to replace to vsv switch and the egr modulator.
I did and the light came back on so then I replaced the egr valve itself and the light still came back on. Autozone cleared the code once but the other times I did it by unhooking the positive side battery.
It seems like after the light comes on the gas milage goes down and every once in a while it dies after coming to a stop.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing or any suggestions what else to look for. Thanks in advance.

Parts replaced in this order
vsv switch
egr modulator
egr valve

Before all that
plugs
cap and rotor
fuel filter

·
Tercel95
95 Tercel
12 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my 1995 Tercel. It first came on around 150,000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs and eventually got the VSV replaced. It went off for a long time but then my catalytic converter took a crap. I replaced the catalytic converter and now the light is on again with the same code. I'm not sure if the EGR issues killed the catalytic converter or the catalytic converter issues killed the EGR but just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm just wondering if you replaced the right VSV for the EGR.
This valve is located in the back of the intake manifold and is a Beotch to get too if it's Awd.

This valve should have fixed your 401 code. Unless you replaced the wrong valve.
Just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the egr vsv valve, you know the one you have to stand on your head to do:lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
^^lol

I would also look for restrictive(kinked) vacuum hose(s) from the vsv that might hinder it's operation to pull vacuum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts