Toyota Nation Forum banner

P0420 code 4runner 2000

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  coontai 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 4runner. The check engine light came on, went to a Kragens and they read a P0420 code.

A year and a half ago I've noticed that my gas would read empty when I had just filled it. And the temperature would be all the way down on cold and my car would die when i backed up or be going slower than 20 miles per hour, like starting up from a stop sign. My friend used his code reader to read if something was wrong and didn't come up with anything. At that time the check engine light never came on. And that was after I had a mechanic do an overall tuneup.

When the check engine light came on last year. I had it checked and the spark plugs were screwed in wrong and had worn down. Those were changed. The light went off.

A few weeks ago, my gas was reading as empty again when it wasn't and the temperature as cold. Then the check engine light came on. This Kragen guy read it as a P0420. Is it the same problem from way back? What should I do?

Thank you for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.