Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my 2005 Avalon Touring this morning and had check engine, brake light and ABS light, all at the same time. Started driving and no speedometer and my odometer doesn't calculate and cruise doesn't work. Pulled my scanner and
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS Malfunction popped up.

I can't tell from repair manual which sensor they are talking about NT or NC per the code. Looks fairly simple to replace under the air box and battery tray, but these jokers are expensive.

Does P0500 refer to a specific sensor, since I have 2 of them? Anyone have any idea what NT / NC stand for?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,357 Posts
NT-input/turbine sensor.
NC- output/counter gear sensor

P0500 means ECM isn't receiving NC speed sensor pulses from sensor thru Skid ECU/combination meter/ECM.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
987 Posts
cj1, for my own edification, this could be a problem (like an open) in the wiring to the sensor, right?

Are these just magnetic sensors? If so, there's not much that could go bad...

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,357 Posts
Right, magnetic sensor.
Could be wiring/connector/sensor or skid module/combo meter/ECM.
Since speed/odometer doesn't work chances are skid module/sensor or wiring faulty.
Hope OP gets back to us on the fix.

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
938 Posts
The behavior of the transmission may provide some indication if either or both of the sensors are bad, or the problem lies elsewhere.
If you would like to change a sensor just as an experiment, I suggest this inexpensive $17 one from Amazon instead of the pricey OEM part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The behavior of the transmission may provide some indication if either or both of the sensors are bad, or the problem lies elsewhere.
If you would like to change a sensor just as an experiment, I suggest this inexpensive $17 one from Amazon instead of the pricey OEM part.

View attachment 285899
Ok, waiting on parts now, I pulled the current sensor, cleaned it and tried to reset the codes. Whatever is going on, that sensor doesn't look OEM it is some sort of light blue, off brand model sensor. On a test drive, sometimes I had speedometer, sometimes not, then I started to get P0503 along with P0500. I just have it parked until I can sort this all out, along with replacing the master cylinder and adjusting the rod. Maybe this is all related to my mushy brake pedal, not sure. Only had the car for less than 3 weeks, so the history and who did what over the years is completely unknown.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, while replacing my master cylinder, I ordered OEM sensor from the dealer and as soon as I put it in, things got worse. The car wouldn't shift correctly. I pulled the part and examined it the oem dealer sensor is definitely shorter than my current sensor. Purchased one from napa, exact same thing, so I'm baffled.

I pulled the negative terminal on my battery and it appears the old sensor is working, but how can the sensor be different?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,357 Posts
Is there any part number on the old sensor?
How much difference in length, between the two, measured from the O ring grove to the tip?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,357 Posts
If sensors are a different length( distance from the gear) then verify the transmission type may be that it changed between years 2004-2005.

·
AllThingsToyotaEnthusiast
Gen 6.5 Camry SE
389 Posts
Immediately if no cruise and no visible indicator of drive selection on dash the shifter cable is out of alignment. Same thing is happening to me now that it is getting colder. Slam the shifter from N to D and see if it corrects. This will be a daily activity until you adjust the cable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts