Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm working on a 2006 TACOMA with the 2.7 and have a check engine light on with DTC P0617 Starter Relay Circuit High. So far I have Swapped Starter relay with horn relay- code came right back. So i guess im down to Clutch start switch, Ignition switch, ecm , or a wiring issue. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this code before or any known common issues.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,801 Posts
Hello, I'm working on a 2006 TACOMA with the 2.7 and have a check engine light on with DTC P0617 Starter Relay Circuit High. So far I have Swapped Starter relay with horn relay- code came right back. So i guess im down to Clutch start switch, Ignition switch, ecm , or a wiring issue. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this code before or any known common issues.
Is there a clutch start cancel switch?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Never seen it posted here before, but search to be sure.

This is a weird one, says the truck ECM is receiving the signal to start when going faster then 20k/h. Says to hook up a smart tester, and do things.

First test is make sure in the ON position the (Start) signal to ECM is off. In the Start Position, it should be on. If not, replace the ECM

Next they have you look at the PArk Neutral Position (Auto) or clutch start switch (manual). Funny they ignore the clutch cancel.

Next, re test #1 to make sure in the ON position the (Start) signal to ECM is off. In the Start Position, it should be on. If not, replace the ECM

Next, test the ignition switch for correct connections, if not replace

retrest the first again

Replace the harness.

Kinda harsh, when the ECM is the first suspect. But looking at the wiring diagram, I could see why. Not too much to fail, and I feel you need two things to fail simultaneously, ie ignition and clutch switch.

Good luck, not sure I was much help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If somebody has installed a remote start or alarm system I wonder if itd set this code? I dont see an antenna for a remote start but it does appear to have some type of alarm? box with wires under the dash.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i may have misinterpreted the first step in the flow chart. Ill have to look at the data on scan tool again tomorrow, but where it has the starter signal On/OFF when it says ON- It means the ignition swithc is just in the ON position with the truck NOT running? If so Im pretty sure I had the truck running when. If thats the case then it looks like it might need an ECM

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,801 Posts
If somebody has installed a remote start or alarm system I wonder if itd set this code? I dont see an antenna for a remote start but it does appear to have some type of alarm? box with wires under the dash.
If the box is a clutch start cancel switch and it is switched on, this would put a constant 12v at STA of the ECM when ignition is in run position, thus setting P0617. You can test this by removing the 10A IG1 NO. 2 which supplies power to said switch.

If box is something else and it has a 12v output wired to the ECM this will also set code.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I think i may have misinterpreted the first step in the flow chart. Ill have to look at the data on scan tool again tomorrow, but where it has the starter signal On/OFF when it says ON- It means the ignition swithc is just in the ON position with the truck NOT running? If so Im pretty sure I had the truck running when. If thats the case then it looks like it might need an ECM

When the ignition switch is in ON, it is not in START, and the signal to the ECM should be OFF. I would guess running or not is immaterial to this test.

When the ignition switch is in START, the signal to the ECM should be ON

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.