Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's 2000 Camry has trouble shifting into drive. My brother mostly drives the car and as he describes it, after the car has been driven for a while (at least for 10 minutes), when starting to drive, the car's RPM reach high levels because it does not shift into drive. Then he has to ease off the gas and try again to get it to shift to drive. My friend hooked up a scanner to it and took it for a drive and he said the car shifts straight into drive from 1st gear. I pulled code P0758. I'd like to get some troubleshooting input on what could be causing the issue. From googling, I've found the following could be the problem: Change the solenoid B which is what the code is, change transmissions fluid, change transmissions speed sensor and finally the transmission itself could be bad. The car has about 230K miles on it and is on its second transmission. A new transmission was put in at about 70k miles. Even though the code is for Solenoid B, my friend said based on the sensor readings while driving, he doesn't think its the solenoid. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
+1 on pgh mike's suggestion. especially since we have no maintenance history to go on, such as when was the last xmission fluid/filter done, how often have they been done, etc.?
tony

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on pgh mike's suggestion. especially since we have no maintenance history to go on, such as when was the last xmission fluid/filter done, how often have they been done, etc.?
tony
It hasn't had its tranny fluid changed since the new transmission was put in back in 2003 with 70k miles. My first thought was also to change the fluid but in talking to some gear heads, they think its a mechanical issue with the tranny. They said if it was the fluid, you would experience other tranmissions issues as well (which I'm not) and not just this specific issue of going from 1st gear to drive directly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.