Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need your assistance. I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna approximately 84,000 miles. Check Engine Light, VSC, & TRAC OFF lights illuminated.
I check the codes with my friend's Snap-On Verus Scanner. Got P0793 - Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor A Circuit No Signal. So I pulled air filter housing & battery out. I see 2 sensors, best to replace both. Any good brand or suggestions where to buy? Dealer quote $150 each

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
142 Posts
Ohms

Toyota Expert Ted Ritter said "This sensor is located on top of the transmission , looking down right behind the throttle body you should see it, there is an electrical connector and a 12mm bolt, first check the connector, make sure it's connected all the way, check the wires, we have seen rodents chew through the wires, last, remove the sensor and see if anything is stuck to it, then using an ohm meter measure the resistance across the two terminals, resistance should be about 500-650ohms, if not within specs replace it,...". Since you have access to top of the line test equipment, why not pull these sensors and check resistance. I am not familiar with these, but if the same, try swapping them, and see what DTC if any pop up, before replacing them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I have replace it & its bad. CEL doesnt come back on until 40 minutes of driving later. Then P2714 - Pressure Control Solenoid "D" Performance (Shift Solenoid Valve SLT). Any suggestions? I even swap back to the old one. Code P2714 is still present. Before replace speed sensor, P2714 wasn't present or pending code.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
142 Posts
First, other then getting the CEL and other lights to go on, what abnormal driving behavior did you experience? The only time I ever got trans codes for my 2009 with 90K, was when my battery was weak. My suggestion would be to Google up the two DTC's. Here are two examples http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/469ne-toyota-tundra-sr5-p2714-trouble-code-pressure-control-solenoid.html and from Tom and Ray http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2297748/04-sienna-le-p0793-hard-shifting. Can your borrow a battery and just swap it for a few test drives? Can your friend check if their is a software update for the PCM? I would not let anyone operate on the trans, until a whole lot more testing is completed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 sienna and i had all three of the same check engine lights vsc, track off and of course check engine. Mine came back running lean on the right bank. After a few months of these lights coming and going it developed an exhaust leak. Apparently it is common for the right exhaust manifold to crack on these. A replacement was $500 so decided to remove it and have the local welding shop fix it. $50 later the code went away and its running quiet again. You might want to check there for a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any solution here other than the exhaust manifold (I don't think the manifold is leaking as I don't smell exhaust or hear a leak)? I have a similar transmission and CEL issue on a 2008 Sienna with 120K miles. It started shifting hard (mostly upshift between 1 and 2) and the CEL light came on with P0793 as the code.

I replaced the "NC" speed sensor (top of the transmission) with an aftermarket sensor. After replacement and 10min of driving, the same issue is occurring, CEL came back on and now calls P0793 and P2714. The hard shifting actually got worse after the new sensor (occurring in more of the gear changes).

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
For future readers. I solved the problem by changing out the NC speed sensor with a toyota speed sensor I got from the dealer. Turns out the aftermarket (Dorman) sensor was no good. No more codes or issues...

·
Registered
1 Posts
buy speed sensor from dealer. no more codes... no more issues.... no check light, no trac light, no vsc light ….. good luck ….

1 - 8 of 8 Posts