Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car stalled at a stop sign and wouldn't start back up. Put new plugs and wires in after seeing the old plugs had very little spark. Got the car to run but had trouble revving off idle and would occasionally run "backwards" and throw smoke out the intake. We thought it was the timing belt so I got the timing kit but after driving it to the shop we decided to check the distributor first. Long story short the car got a new maf and new distributor today and Runs great now. Has a little more of a lumpy sounding rev, almost sounds a little like a Subaru. Was worried it was a knock but after hearing what these cars sound like with a muffler I'm pretty sure that's just how they sound when it's actually timed right because its always kinda ran like shit but never felt like dealing with it. Also got a greddy muffler but haven't installed yet. Been a good but very stressful Toyota filled weekend.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Yep, avoid aftermarket ignition coils. They are known to be bad right out of box, so should be tested. They also don’t last as long as OEM and will develop cracks sooner. I’d always get a used Denso coil from junkyard care before buying aftermarket one from FLAPS.

·
Kanmuri
1985 Camry
248 Posts
Yep, avoid aftermarket ignition coils. They are known to be bad right out of box, so should be tested. They also don’t last as long as OEM and will develop cracks sooner. I’d always get a used Denso coil from junkyard care before buying aftermarket one from FLAPS.
I trust NGK pretty well. I went with one of their coils w/ warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts