Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 tercel 2d
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my car painted 2 weeks ago ,and I need to know whats the best wax for freshly painted cars? By the way I want it to shine like no tomorrow!:D

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
To be safe you better wait a couple months before you wax it. Especially if your body shop didn't use a heated paint booth to help cure the paint. Wax can clog the "pores" and prevent the paint from releasing gasses. This could cause paint defects.

But you can use polish. Polish doesn't clog the paint. It will just clean and smooth the paint. Don't use any kind of polish that has fillers or wax in it. Look for a polish that says Body Shop Safe. Meguiars Pro line of polish would work good. If you can't find any polish ask your body shop where you can get some. They probably know of a auto paint supply store that would have it.

When it comes to a factory paint job you can usually wax a vehicle once it rolls off of the delivery truck, but with a body shop paint job it would be a good idea not to wax it right away.

·
Registered
96 tercel 2d
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did bake the car after they painted it also they used a single stage paint. I probobly should have mentioned that earlier. What to do in this scenario?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Hmmm. You're probably fine then. But it might be a good idea to contact the body shop and see what they say. If it was me I would clay, light polish, and then wax it. The clay will remove any overspray or rough spots. You can clay the window glass too, in case some overspray got through the masking.

What color is the paint?

·
Registered
96 tercel 2d
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The color is emerald green. Do you recommend any particular brands. Also thank you for your help, pics of the car should be up soon.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Can you order online or do you prefer off the shelf stuff?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Pb said:
Hmmm. You're probably fine then. But it might be a good idea to contact the body shop and see what they say. If it was me I would clay, light polish, and then wax it. The clay will remove any overspray or rough spots. You can clay the window glass too, in case some overspray got through the masking.

What color is the paint?
Yah I just got my car back a few weeks ago and there is overspray on my windows lol. Pretty damn sure they didnt use a heated booth for mine because they are cheap as hell (I know the guy). I gotta wait out a couple months:disappoin I want to detail it soo bad!!!! My PC is getting lonely.

·
Registered
96 tercel 2d
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would perfer off the shelf. But if there is better quality online I will go online and order.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Meguiars #26 High Tech Yellow wax paste is pretty good. Lots of auto parts stores should carry it.

·
Registered
96 tercel 2d
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up buying Meguiars#2, And Black magic liquid wax. The Polish is awesomw my car looks beautiful, Im trying to build up my energy to wax it. But Im doing it by hand (no buffer) with only applicator pads:sosad: . I need a buffer.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
If you've already polished then you've done the hardest part. You can just wipe the wax on. No need to work it in circles. I apply it in straight lines, which helps prevent streaks. Just apply wax like you're painting. You don't have to work it like you do with polish.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Pb said:
^ You can always clay and polish it. Just no wax.
Its already nice and clean. No swirls or anything. There is one spot that I gotta clay but its no big deal. Im just gonna wait until it cures:disappoin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts