Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new to Toyotas and have had a Tacoma since May. I've heard a couple people complain about paint chips and sand blasting and have noticed the paint on mine is chipping off at an alarming rate. What's the deal? Is Toyota doing anything about this? Is it common to certain colors? Mine is the Speedway Blue. Any help, advice is appreciated.

Plan to visit often as there seems to be lots of knowledgeable owners here.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Toyota is adding more vinyl, and plastic guards to the 06's, but as far as taking care of the 05 owners, some people have had thier dealers repaint the affected areas, but Toyota itself doesn't seem to be doing anthing about the existing problems. Yes it is common to certain colors, the most prominent being Speedway Blue. My best advice, get yourself some running boards, or tubesteps, if you don't already have them (running boards offer better protection). And if you really want to get crazy, get yourself some 3M clear mask (they sell it in rolls). BTW Welcome to the Nation.

·
Car Dealers Suck !
651 Posts
Matt612 said:
Hey all! I'm new to Toyotas and have had a Tacoma since May. I've heard a couple people complain about paint chips and sand blasting and have noticed the paint on mine is chipping off at an alarming rate. What's the deal? Is Toyota doing anything about this? Is it common to certain colors? Mine is the Speedway Blue. Any help, advice is appreciated.

Plan to visit often as there seems to be lots of knowledgeable owners here.
Tell us more about your paint chipping . Where is it chipping ? When did you notice it ? Driving in sand or clean roads ? the more you can give us the better .

N

·
0 Posts
Fitz235 said:
Toyota is adding more vinyl, and plastic guards to the 06's, but as far as taking care of the 05 owners, some people have had thier dealers repaint the affected areas, but Toyota itself doesn't seem to be doing anthing about the existing problems. Yes it is common to certain colors, the most prominent being Speedway Blue. My best advice, get yourself some running boards, or tubesteps, if you don't already have them (running boards offer better protection). And if you really want to get crazy, get yourself some 3M clear mask (they sell it in rolls). BTW welcome to the Nation.
He pretty much nailed it for you. My truck is chipping and Toyota is blowing me off. Get some running boards ASAP to stop it from getting any worse then go out and get the damage fixed. Guess I am going that route as I can't wait any longer or the chips will rust. Has been over a month since I first filled my warranty claim and over a week since I went back and did it again and not one word from Toyota.

Good luck getting Toyota to stand behind it. While they have fixed it for a few guys it is rare they do. I can't even get a rep to come and look at mine never mind get it fixed. :rolleyes: Their warranty process is a joke. The dealer can't look and say "Oh, chips" and then fix it. No, some rep has to make an appointment and come out to look and then they try and tell you it is not faulty paint. COME ON it is too wide spread and clearly a flaw on their end. All the changes for 06 are a pretty clear admission on their part to the fact there is a problem. Just a joke. :thumbdown

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses and the welcome.

Well, about a week into ownership I heard a small click following a truck that I thought was a rock on the windshield but turned out it hit right on the hood scoop and took some paint off there. Then about 2 weeks later on the interstate I heard a pop beside me and noticed a chip in the door when I stopped. Both times were dry roads but I've had rocks hit my vehicles before (had a ranger 6 years before this vehicle and the paint looked better when I got rid of it than this one does now) and never had a problem like this. The worst was on my way home from deer camp. It had snowed and I was traveling on a road that had been treated with cinders. When I washed it, I was sickened to see numerous small white dots along the bottom of the door and the leading edge of the access door where it sticks out slightly. Looks like it got sandblasted there and in front of the rear tire. It's like the paint is extremely thin. 99% of my driving is paved roads back and forth to work.

:confused:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Paint chips are going to happen. No way in hell can it be stopped. Follow an eighteen wheeler on the turnpike and it is going to happen. Dump truck going the opposite way, going to happen. I was going to work this morning, counted 14 dump trucks heading in the other direction........talk about closing your eyes and praying you don't hear that loud "CLICK" all over your truck. I can accept paint chips that I can't do anything about. I don't like them, but if you drive your truck "chips are going to happen".

With that said, I am getting the sandblasting on the front of the rear fender and along the bottom edges of the doors. Truck is 6 months old and it hurts to wash her up and see her in this shape. This is not normal.....so what to do...fight with Toyota and get it repainted just to have it happen again (I'm not going to get running boards !!), NO NO NO....I'm saving up and going to go with the Line-X painted in Radiant Red. I've made my decision.

Just so you don't feel too bad......my wife has the Lexus RX330 in Black, 2004....Guess what ? Paint is chipping on that also ! Normal as far as I can tell, but it hurts even more when she only drives it 1 mile to work.......So, I've got approx. $65,000.00 worth of Toyota product in my driveway (won't mention the VW's) and paint chips coming out the ying yang. I'm depressed now.

Back to the Line-X.......what do you think about doing the front bumper, fender flares, and the bottom of the doors up to the first indentation ?? All in Radiant Red, maybe Black ? Opinions.....photo shop.......lets hear it.

N

·
0 Posts
mossman said:
Paint chips are going to happen. No way in hell can it be stopped. Follow an eighteen wheeler on the turnpike and it is going to happen. Dump truck going the opposite way, going to happen. I was going to work this morning, counted 14 dump trucks heading in the other direction........talk about closing your eyes and praying you don't hear that loud "CLICK" all over your truck. I can accept paint chips that I can't do anything about. I don't like them, but if you drive your truck "chips are going to happen".

With that said, I am getting the sandblasting on the front of the rear fender and along the bottom edges of the doors. Truck is 6 months old and it hurts to wash her up and see her in this shape. This is not normal.....so what to do...fight with Toyota and get it repainted just to have it happen again (I'm not going to get running boards !!), NO NO NO....I'm saving up and going to go with the Line-X painted in Radiant Red. I've made my decision.

Just so you don't feel too bad......my wife has the Lexus RX330 in Black, 2004....Guess what ? Paint is chipping on that also ! Normal as far as I can tell, but it hurts even more when she only drives it 1 mile to work.......So, I've got approx. $65,000.00 worth of Toyota product in my driveway (won't mention the VW's) and paint chips coming out the ying yang. I'm depressed now.

Back to the Line-X.......what do you think about doing the front bumper, fender flares, and the bottom of the doors up to the first indentation ?? All in Radiant Red, maybe Black ? Opinions.....photo shop.......lets hear it.
Line-X is great stuff( I would have done the bed if it wasn't made of recycled soda bottles :lol: )but I am not sure about using it on the outside of the truck even if color matched? Would stop the chipping that is for sure but IMO it would be ugly. I think member 55Reasons said he did his truck with it on the outside so check with him.

One thing though IF the chipping and sandblasted effect is due to poor paint adhesion or soft paint THAT will effect the Line-X. Any spray on liner will only be as good as the paint it is covering. IF the problems we are seeing is because of soft or poorly adhered paint then the Line-X will not be a tough as if it was sprayed over properly applied paint. Does that make sense?

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Paint chipping you say??? I've never heard of such a thing. I think you're all looney. :kookoo:

·
Registered
139 Posts
NH05TACOMA said:
Line-X is great stuff( I would have done the bed if it wasn't made of recycled soda bottles :lol: )but I am not sure about using it on the outside of the truck even if color matched? Would stop the chipping that is for sure but IMO it would be ugly. I think member 55Reasons said he did his truck with it on the outside so check with him.

One thing though IF the chipping and sandblasted effect is due to poor paint adhesion or soft paint THAT will effect the Line-X. Any spray on liner will only be as good as the paint it is covering. IF the problems we are seeing is because of soft or poorly adhered paint then the Line-X will not be a tough as if it was sprayed over properly applied paint. Does that make sense?
Was thinking about the same thing "poor paint adhesion", where I'm coming from is this....Line-X would probably be happy as pig doo doo to just touch up any problem areas for as long as I owned the truck....No having to deal with Toyota on a repaint. Line-X has some sort of lifetime guarantee I believe. The problem would be of course the matching of the Radiant Red paint. Maybe I should just go with the Black....just can't picture a black front bumper, fender flares, and down the sides of the truck....I've gotten some input on this from a Line-X dealer over on Tundrasolutions.com. He does very good work from what I can tell. Probably be around $650.00 to get this done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is an example borrowed from someone else. Color matched Line-X on the front bumper:

Think I'm going to give it a shot. Just got to get the permission of my partner in marriage.

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
It seems fairly common around here for guys to do the color-matched liner on the bottom half of trucks, and for the most part they look good. The edges never look good, though - on that bumper, as with yours and your flares, there is no edge, so it won't stand out. But along the side of the truck, the top edge of it always looks kind of crappy. The indent may save you, though - if you run the liner up to the center of the ridge like you say, maybe it'll make it less noticeable. I've never seen it on plastic (like the bumper you posted,) don't know how well that will stay - I don't think it's flexible at all, so it might have some adhesion problems, especially if something bumps/flexes the plastic. But maybe not, I dunno - and they do have that lifetime warranty, so it should be taken care of anyway.

If I were you, I'd do it. If mine ever starts chipping I know I will - but mine's white, so it would be less noticeable I'd think. But if mine had the chipping problem, I'd definitely remove the factory paint before doing it - as mentioned I don't think the liner will solve the problem, because the problem seems to be adhesion. I've blasted down gravel roads WRC style, and I even hit a carboard sign at about 60mph and my paint is still stuck. There's a small spider-web of cracks where the sign hit, but all the paint is still there and stuck in place - no way would that still be there on the trucks with the adhesion problem.

I almost wonder if the problem has something to do with a different phase of the manufacturing process, since it's so random in regards to color and build date (regardless of Toyota's word on affected build periods.) Like if a truck is built during a heavy manufacturing time, so the steel runs quickly from a roll of metal to a stamped piece getting painted, if maybe some solvents from an earlier process haven't dried away or some other curing hasn't taken place before painting, something like that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Brandon, I agree with the "line", could be an eye sore. Could probably deal with it better than with the paint chips. On another note, if we just let these chip, and then rust...won't Toyota have to paint them because of rust warranty ? Anyway, sorry to sort of hijack this thread Matt612. Here's another picture to give you more of an idea of what I'm thinking about, but in Radiant Red.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No prob Moss....i don't count that as a Hijack. Still on the same topic, just throwing out ideas to fix the problem. If Line-x can match the Speedway Blue, I'd probably go for it.

Funny thing about this whole issue is the front of the truck has only one little spec the last time I washed it. I think that indicates it's an adhesion problem wo the steel.

But I'm sure Toyota's going to give me the big runaround because they can to me, just one buyer.

Other than the paint and fuel mileage, I really like the truck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Matt612 said:
No prob Moss....i don't count that as a Hijack. Still on the same topic, just throwing out ideas to fix the problem. If Line-x can match the Speedway Blue, I'd probably go for it.

Funny thing about this whole issue is the front of the truck has only one little spec the last time I washed it. I think that indicates it's an adhesion problem wo the steel.

But I'm sure Toyota's going to give me the big runaround because they can to me, just one buyer.

Other than the paint and fuel mileage, I really like the truck.
Funny you should mention the front bumper.....I've got only one chip on the bumper and I know it was from a stone off the road, saw it coming at me and heard it hit. I was just throwing in the bumper for line-x, because I think it might tie in better with the rest of the truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts