Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven a Toyota Xtracab light truck for some time now and decided it was time for an upgrade. I just put down a deposit for a 2010 manual Camry SE and since I have to wait 3.5 months to get it, I wanted to do some research.
Do the newer models come with any type of paint protection? When I bought my truck in 1993, I had them apply a coating which protected the paint from the sun and also provided a shine that did not require waxing. I mainly drive my car in the winter and so the body can take quite a beating from the snow, salt and gravel (I live in Calgary, Canada).
Any advise on whether I should go for the same thing with my new car?
Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got back from the dealer's place after filling out all the forms for my new Camry (damn...a 3 or 4 month wait).
They gave me more information on their various "protection packages" (h-m-m-m, I don't think the last name of the guy I talked to was 'Soprano'...).
They have a number of 'plans' which can be combined into the "Optimum", "Premium" and "Select" groups. Each group has a different length of coverage (5, 6 and 7 years). The one I am interested in is the "Environmental Protection Plan" which has the paint, leather and rust protection as well as the undercoating.
They also have "Service protection plans" (basically, it covers parts and labour costs "for covered repairs" whatever that is, roadside assistance, rental car costs, etc.) "Tire and Wheel coverage" (they'll replace any blown tires and damaged rims) and "Stone Guard" (a plastic wrapping that covers the hood). Of course, the longer the period of coverage, the higher the costs for each plan.
I figure I'll get the full Environmental protection package ($988 CDN) but not the others (I already have an AMA membership and am getting a hood deflector for protection against flying rocks).
All these plans and groups are from the Charlesglen dealership in Calgary, Canada.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Almost any 'protection plan' the dealer is going to sell you is worth only cents on the dollar compared to what you could buy yourself. I'd invest in a lot of wax and keep it waxed up during the winters and you can bank the difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply gdanaher. After making some calls around town, I now realize that what you said is quite true - these "protection packages" that dealers have are a scam.
I'm still going to get the protection done and it will be at the places that the dealers would send my car to anyway. Difference is that I save 50% doing it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts