Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TN User
'07 XLE V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 07 XLE. I have been following some of the threads here concerning paint problems. I think I want to put on a couple of coats of Glare or some other hard polish as soon as possible. My question is: Should I wait for the paint to cure for a few months first? I remember we used to wait 6 months, but I understand they use a new paint formula now (which is probably the root of the paint problems), Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a bottle of Glare waiting to be used this spring. I have head some people report spider webbing after they used it. Don't know if it was due to user error or what however?

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
I guess it wouldnt hurt to wait for a couple months just to make sure the enamel is fully cured, i'd just wait til spring. The paint is electrically bonded at the factory and baked on at high temperature but it may still need a little while to completely cure, although 6 months time may be unnecessary.
3M and other companies also make clear protective film for the hood and front fenders, they cost a few hundred dollars installed. Probably worth a try.
My own 2002 has 90,000 miles and is too far gone for any of that stuff, but i sure wish the person who owned the car before me had done it because the paint would look a lot better now.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
ScottFern said:
I have a bottle of Glare waiting to be used this spring. I have head some people report spider webbing after they used it. Don't know if it was due to user error or what however?
I used GLARE on my 07 Camry and 03 Highlander for over 6 months now. NO spider webbing or anything like that. The key factor is make sure the paint is clear of any deposit (cleaner wax first unless your car is new) before you apply the GLARE. Once you had GLARE on it.....shiny and so smooth wash after wash after wash. I found better results applied by hand compare to machine. You will love it.

·
TN User
'07 XLE V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I guess my other question is: Is any wax or similar treatment likely to alleviate the paint chipping problem I have been reading about?

·
Registered
830 Posts
there is actual paint protection film that you can buy. the detail and tint place i go to does it. the film is sold by 3M if ya wanna check it out. you can prolly buy some in bulk on ebay. Its cool stuff. Goes on like clear tint. I"ve seen them put it on, and I actually have it on my hood. It saved my hood the other day from a chunk of cinderblock that flew off a dump truck. I checked it, there was a tiny scuff on the film that I took out with my finger. Its great stuff as far as I'm concerned. Check it out if you want.

·
TN User
'07 XLE V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard about the 3M film. I really don't want to spend the bucks. $12.50 for some decent wax is more my speed. Will a decent wax or polish give some preotection against chipping, or is is just a nice shine?

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
^ was is a protection against uv and any other soursces that might stain or attach to your paint. Wax will not prevent chips as any hard source that hits a car will cause the a chip of some sort. Cleaner wax if very useless unless your car is in pristine condition. They do not hold the same polishing qualities that a true polish might have. But....different strokes for different folks. Some people love cleaner wax, others really hate it. Whatever works for you. As far as the film, you need to be sure to take care of the paint that is not protected becuase when you take it off you'll notice a tappered effect in color.

·
TN User
'07 XLE V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Webb26 said:
^ . Some people love cleaner wax, others really hate it. Whatever works for you. As far as the film, you need to be sure to take care of the paint that is not protected becuase when you take it off you'll notice a tappered effect in color.

Also a concern.

·
it pays to floss
07 White Camry LE
1,311 Posts
dude, get the 3m film. my camry already has a number of chips on its hood, front, and rear bumpers. I wax it religiously and wished I should've purchased the 3m a lot sooner. I already sent my camry to a dealer-authorized autobody and paint shop once already for the chips.

there's a website that you can search off google that shows on how durable the 3m mask is; i saw a video on how it was shot by a pellet gun at close range and it held up magnificently.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
Epsilon said:
Ever heard of wrapping the entire vehicle with vinyl?
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is still not 100% free from paint chipping.....just don't drive it.
No drive = no paint chipping, no engine problem. :)

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
Epsilon said:
Ever heard of wrapping the entire vehicle with vinyl?
Aluminum foil is an all around car cover...you can poke holes for vents, yet it blocks and relfects everything out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your vehicle is an investment, take care of it!

Bottm Line!!!

You WILL get paint chips if you drive your car, it's unavoidable! That 3M film and others like it are overpriced IMO. Put a good couple coats of wax/sealant every 3 months regardless of what the product says. I use Collinite 476S Super Doublecoat wax, great stuff. Says it lasts for a year, even under adverse conditions, maybe the protective properties last but the shine and beading goodness doesn't. I usually put on 2 coats by hand, applying one coat then waiting to the next day to apply the next, I actually wax my car every 6 weeks. I also touch up my car every week using a spray wax, weather permitting and obviously not during the winter since I have no garage.:sosad:

I know from pevious threads that a number of forum members here also belong to Autopia.org forums. That is a good place to go to for all your car care needs.:thumbup:

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?

You could always buy a front end mask/bra! But of course there can be issues using those, like dirt and moisture getting trapped underneath and ruining the paint. Trust me I've seen it happen, water actually got under the clear coat and when you heat it with a heat gun, you can watch it evaporate before your eyes!:eek:

Good luck and I hope this helps!

·
TN User
'07 XLE V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My old car is a '01 Avalon. Once or twice a year, I touch up the little chips (mostly toward the front end of the hood) and that's it. Following this board, I get the impression that Toyota is now using some new kind of paint, and the problem is much worse. Has Toyota change the paint since '01 or are some people just more sensitive about this type of stuff than others?

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
I don't think wax will protect your paint from chipping. YOU might as well get the front end mask or a front end sheild. Waxing often is a good preventative precaution for fading and discoloring of paint. The wax will not uphold collisions frm rocks and pebbles. IT might help with smaller objects. As far as touching up...weekly is good...i usually do mine every other day. becuase without using water and washing it, you are at risk at scratching your paint(but thats just how i feel)

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Trojan said:
dude, get the 3m film. my camry already has a number of chips on its hood, front, and rear bumpers. I wax it religiously and wished I should've purchased the 3m a lot sooner. I already sent my camry to a dealer-authorized autobody and paint shop once already for the chips.

there's a website that you can search off google that shows on how durable the 3m mask is; i saw a video on how it was shot by a pellet gun at close range and it held up magnificently.
I hear that dude. hey, come up here to New York City, the New Jersey Turnpike is a Madman's hell when it comes to paint chips from all the commercial trucks on the road... lol. you get so many paint chips up here you have to go to a pro auto collision shop for help...hehehe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts