Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got rid of my 2009 corolla today, my Camry have been garaged since I bought it which was a month back or so.
When I bought my Corolla I remember buying some stupid weather paint protect package or something, it cost me a few hundred bucks all they did was apply something on the car and underneath, he said it would protect the paint and keep the shine for a long time, anyways I didn't see any difference, so this time I didn't buy any packages.
I'll be driving my car for the second time tomorrow, now I'm kinda worried about the paint, I'm a daily commuter who averages 140 miles everday!, should I wax it my car? apply paint sealant?(if so what brands?) or just leave it as it is and wash/apply wax when necessary? Any other ideas would be appreciated toooo!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I got rid of my 2009 corolla today, my Camry have been garaged since I bought it which was a month back or so.
When I bought my Corolla I remember buying some stupid weather paint protect package or something, it cost me a few hundred bucks all they did was apply something on the car and underneath, he said it would protect the paint and keep the shine for a long time, anyways I didn't see any difference, so this time I didn't buy any packages.
I'll be driving my car for the second time tomorrow, now I'm kinda worried about the paint, I'm a daily commuter who averages 140 miles everday!, should I wax it my car? apply paint sealant?(if so what brands?) or just leave it as it is and wash/apply wax when necessary? Any other ideas would be appreciated toooo!
I personally would just wash/wax periodically. Details scattered in between, maybe clay bar it once a year. I wash every week/two weeks, and wax every two weeks. Newer cars are getting thinner and thinner coats of paint!

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
I like to just do the normal washes to mine and then once before pollen season I give it the Zimoil wax.
The rest of the year I pay close attn to the bug splat areas with spray wax in those areas. (Mothers Quick Detailer)

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
I would give the paint at least 60 days from the date of manufacture before applying any wax. Then, there are some good spray on waxes that seem to do well.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
At our dealer we always suggest the 3M mask and the paint protection. The 3M mask goes on the front bumper, hood, door edges, and mirrors, to protect from paint chips. It's a clear film like the ones that are used on the windshields of cars in NASCAR and is guaranteed to not damage the paint if it has to be taken off or discolor it. The paint protection is just like what you're talking about, and we guarantee it for 5 years that your paint won't be damaged or we fix the problem areas for free. Same with the 3M mask.

Even with the 3M and paint protection you can wash and wax, and use car washes like you normally would.

·
Registered
'11 Camry SE
51 Posts
At our dealer we always suggest the 3M mask and the paint protection. The 3M mask goes on the front bumper, hood, door edges, and mirrors, to protect from paint chips. It's a clear film like the ones that are used on the windshields of cars in NASCAR and is guaranteed to not damage the paint if it has to be taken off or discolor it. The paint protection is just like what you're talking about, and we guarantee it for 5 years that your paint won't be damaged or we fix the problem areas for free. Same with the 3M mask.

Even with the 3M and paint protection you can wash and wax, and use car washes like you normally would.
What does something like the 3M run? I have the clear plastic on my back bumper (with the Toyota logo) trunk ledge, and on both back door edges (about 6-8 inches) but no where else. I've already got a chip on my front hood and on my driver side mirror and the car is only a month old. I'm thinking the paint is pretty crappy.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
It is, the first day I had my car I got a rock chip from a j-off semi with no mudflaps :headbang:

The full 3M mask with installation runs about $500 here, but if you know someone who is awesome at applying stuff like that it will be cheaper, the parts run $98. (Yeah I know, typical dealer pricing) I still want to get it put on, but getting married just a couple weeks ago put a big dent in the pocketbook. :facepalm:

·
Registered
'08 Camry LE
54 Posts
As a detailing enthusiast, my best recommendation is to follow arabianobsession's advice and get a bra for your car (clear or not). In addition to that, I recommend using Collinite wax to protect your paint. I have used several synthetic sealants, natural waxes and boutique waxes; Collinite 845 insulator wax is the most user friendly and one of the most durable as well. Their other products are great, but not as easy to apply or remove.

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
I've already got a chip on my front hood and on my driver side mirror and the car is only a month old. I'm thinking the paint is pretty crappy.
Ditto on the crappy paint. My understanding is the paints used today are water based?
5months old and a couple of chips just enough to PUOFF!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm a little confused here, should i got for a sealant or a wax? since some of you recommended waxes and the others sealants.
I did a little research and i'm leaning towards the Collinite Marque D 'Elegence Wax. Should I apply a sealant before applying the wax? or just apply the wax and i'm all set.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Moutee gives a great explanation on what to do, he seems to be the go-to guy here

·
Registered
609 Posts
i'm a little confused here, should i got for a sealant or a wax? since some of you recommended waxes and the others sealants.
I did a little research and i'm leaning towards the Collinite Marque D 'Elegence Wax. Should I apply a sealant before applying the wax? or just apply the wax and i'm all set.
There are two types of car "waxes" - natural and synthetic (aka sealant). Natural wax is made of carnuba wax and synthetic wax (aka sealant) is man-made. They both need to be reapplied periodically.

·
Registered
'08 Camry LE
54 Posts
Ordinarily, it is fine to layer a natural carnauba wax over a synthetic sealant. With Collinite, this isn't necessary because it's counter-productive. Collinite waxes contain solvents that will negate the layering effect of the first synthetic. In summary, just stick with the Collinite.

I also advise that you pick up a clay bar. The clay will remove any contaminants bonded to the surface of your paint (that otherwise diffuse light as it hits the surface and prevent wax from bonding properly).

Just a remark: I am in no way affiliated with Collinite products. I'm just offering you all advice from experience. I have a small wax and sealant collection. My choice of last-step-product after paintwork usually depends on what mood I'm in, or if I think one of my waxes looks lonely on the back of the shelf. More often than not, I reach for Collinite. Why? It's durable (lasts months if applied correctly), it's easy to apply and remove, and it's inexpensive. If anyone here prefers to use a synthetic sealant, I can help you make that choice as well.

Edit: I noticed that eyezack87 is a professional detailer. If you're reading this, I invite you to contribute your $.02. It's always nice to have a second opinion. :)

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
you can go either with a wax or a sealant. go wax if you have time to wax every 3 months or so, if you only have time once a year to do a full detail go with a sealant. I would do wax but here in seattle it rains more than its sunny so i go with a paint sealant that will last a good year before it wears off. I did a full detail yesterday and applied another layer of sealant to get ready for the winter here.

dont know how well these pictures look.

·
Registered
'08 Camry LE
54 Posts
how is that stuff, Klass High Gloss Sealant Glaze.........??
To be honest, I haven't used Klasse SG, but I do have Klasse All in One. It's an acrylic sealant that lays a nice foundation for natural carnauba waxes or Klasse SG. I think the general consensus among detailers is that there are better sealants. If I go synthetic, I like to use Zaino Z5 Pro. It is a tricky product to use, though; instructions have to be followed to the tee for best results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts