Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 Tacoma and am having issues with my paint. Specifically, I have two large dogs that drool over the side of the truck. I was amazed to find that the drool is damaging my clear coat. The drips have literally eaten into the clear coat. I spoke with a paint & body shop and while they haven't ever seen this particular issue they stated that the clear coat should not be impacted by such a thing.
My Taco dealer investigated the issues with Toyota and has informed me that it isn't a factory warranty issue.
I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how I could pursue this further? Or maybe I'm at fault? Its insane that the clear coat is so sensitive. I've had two prior Ford trucks and never experienced such a sensitive paint job.

·
Go Sharks!!!
06 tacoma prerunner
1,350 Posts
dog + acid spit = aliens

if i were you i'd take them out back and shoot them incase their planning an attack on the earth, lol

j/k but did you leave the drool on the paint for an extended period of time? I know bird droppings will decimate paint if you leave it on for a while, what have to tried to repair it? polish, clay bar, etc?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You are probably S.O.L. on getting it covered under warranty. The warranty is pretty specific in excluding coverage for: "Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightening and other enviromental conditions."

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used acetone in pretty copious doses to remove spray paint from my truck w/o going through the clear coat. Considering how fragile the paint on our trucks seems to be I thought for sure it would not have turned out so well.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
I hate to say it but saliva is used to start DIGESTING food. It's no wonder you paint (specifically the clear coat) is getting messed up. You've essentially allowed acid to be poured onto the paint and want Toyota to fix it. It's not a warranty issue. Find a good body shop and submit it to insurance.

Sorry man, I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear. :(

·
Premium Member
07 DC TRD OR 4x4
1,000 Posts
I work in the body and paint industry, and I can tell you that is entirely possible. Granted this shouldn't happen very easily, it would have to be on the paint for an extended period for this to be an issue. It's just like pitch or bird crap, if it's left on long enough, your gunna have problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts