Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I once read that the black Gen2 DX Bumpers don't paint too well for one reason or another. Just wondering if there is any truth to that.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
when i got my car painted, they didnt paint the bumpers, but, then again, the didnt say they werent going to paint the bumpers.

ive heard as long as there is a decent flex agent in the paint, it should be fine, this coming from a friend who works at an auto body shop, but i dunno if it would or not.

·
Beams SV21
576 Posts
my original bumper was just plain and unpainted but when i resprayed my car i just made sure that it was clean and gave it a base coat which had some colour and a good amount of flex agent. the bumpers are paintable, you just have to ensure that u are preparing the surface properly. will you be doing this yourself or at a shop?

Cheers

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be using a shop probably, thanks for the info. Well, either a shop or a friend that knows what he's diong

·
Registered
312 Posts
i was wondering this also. Can someone post a list of things you need to do to prepare the bumpers for paint. Also, im probably going to have to prime them myself, so is there any paint can primers that have flex agent in them?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
You can paint anything if you use the right promoter or the right paint.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Stevethecleric said:
when i got my car painted, they didnt paint the bumpers, but, then again, the didnt say they werent going to paint the bumpers.

ive heard as long as there is a decent flex agent in the paint, it should be fine, this coming from a friend who works at an auto body shop, but i dunno if it would or not.
my original bumper was just plain and unpainted but when i resprayed my car i just made sure that it was clean and gave it a base coat which had some colour and a good amount of flex agent.
That should tell you what to do, por2gueze

·
Beams SV21
576 Posts
that quote sounds familiar :p:

por2geez, if you are only spraying your bumpers then take them off so that it will be easier. Then give it a good wash with normal detergent so that any caked on residue is taken off. Dry the bumpers totally. Then get some Wax and Grease Remover, a fine cloth and give the bumper a good clean with the Wax and Grease remover. after u do that make sure u dont touch the surface of the bumper to be painted, then mix your paint, and ONLY start spraying once the bumper is totally dry.

Are you using a compressor and air gun or are u just using spray cans? i tend to find that spray cans may be ok for some quick butcher job in a non descript place but for the bumper then an air gun and compressor is what you will need.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts