Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a question for my gen 3 camry.im wondering if any knows or have seen someone with their door pillars painted.my camry is super white.but the door pillars are black,:thumbdown i think it would look real nice if they were painted white.ive been curious bout doing this for a while,what kind of paint would it take how many coats you guys think??please give me some advic here,thanxx

·
Grumpy, but good at it
108 Posts
I don't think it would look very good at all. The pillars are painted black in an effort to make them disappear visually, giving the car a sleeker look, more like a hardtop. Painting them white would break up the lines and make the individual windows stand out as dark shapes with white borders.

But there are two schools of thought on this. I'm of the West Coast school of thought - I am in favor of removing trim, making the car look smoother, more integrated, more of a single shape or combination of complimentary shapes. I like to take everything off the car that distracts from its basic form. There's also a traditionally East Coast school of thought (I'm not trying to attack you or the East Coast by any means here) that puts emphasis on indivdual panels and edges - chrome trim at the edge of every panel, painting highlights on emblems and handles and vents, etc. That school apparently prefers to put more things on the car to make it flashier, so that even if you're only looking at a small portion of the car, your eyes are still busy. To me, it looks gaudy and trashy, like a circus wagon, and I prefer going the other way - a simple, elegant, pretty design.

It's like the difference between an attractive nude woman, and the same woman in cheap lingerie, a fur coat, lots of makeup, three pounds of flashy jewelry, and a huge floppy hat. I feel the beauty is in the shape, not in the things you stick to the shape. I guess it depends on what you prefer!

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
te51levin said:
But there are two schools of thought on this. I'm of the West Coast school of thought - I am in favor of removing trim, making the car look smoother, more integrated, more of a single shape or combination of complimentary shapes. I like to take everything off the car that distracts from its basic form. There's also a traditionally East Coast school of thought (I'm not trying to attack you or the East Coast by any means here) that puts emphasis on indivdual panels and edges - chrome trim at the edge of every panel, painting highlights on emblems and handles and vents, etc. That school apparently prefers to put more things on the car to make it flashier, so that even if you're only looking at a small portion of the car, your eyes are still busy.
Thats well put. :D

Someone on here surely has done this..but i personally havn't seen it. and IMO wouldn't look that good, as the "larger" window effect look good IMO.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
You can either go with automotive enamel or acrylic paints. Of course it's better to be sprayed on then brushed on (please, don't brush it on as it looks really really cheap). You can also go the route of rattle cans (spray paints) or even with a cheap airbrush spray it on. The process would go something like:
  1. Strip the paint or sand away
  2. Primer (2 coats is what I prefer)
  3. Paint (2 coats of paint prefered)
  4. Buff it
  5. Clear coat
  6. Buff it

The problem with spray paints is they fade rather quickly even with a good clear coat with UV protection.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
I would also note since it's black to strip the paint as much as possible then use a white primer or grey primer with white primer on top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts