Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Toyota Lover
Camry, Corolla, Supr
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an extra set of rims and i was really interested in painting em.. i'm just curious as to what kinda paint to use and what kind of preparations i need to do on the rims.

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
You can use regular spray paint to paint them... but I'd recommend powdercoat. 25-50 a wheel is going rate for nonhookup.

I painted a set of 240SX wheels I had. I cleaned them really good with some acid I got from a Hyundai dealership by my house that some friends worked at. Then, I sanded them down with sand paper. Then, I put a coat of black krylon on them, let them sit about 30 minutes, put another coat on them, let it sit about 30 minutes, then put another coat on them. After waiting about an hour this time, I put a coat of clear on them, waiting 30 minutes before the second coat of that. The end result was some nice powder-coat CLOSE quality paint that lasted until I sold the car.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
you should use wheel spray paint you can get from autozone/pepboys etc...regular spray paint will chip a lot quicker.

powdercoating is the best way to ensure a finish that will last if you have the $$$ to do it.

good luck,
Keri

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
ripley's99 said:
you should use wheel spray paint you can get from autozone/pepboys etc...regular spray paint will chip a lot quicker.
They didn't have black wheel paint when I did mine. I don't know if they do now or not. I've used that dupli stuff they advertise "Now you can have white wheels, or graphite, or ...". It stuck VERY well and looked decent.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
^ yeah that's the paint i'm talking about i also used it on the set of 14" BBS rims for track use i have. they didn't have it in black here either just that graphite/gunmetal color which looks good.

Keri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts