Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright dudes im pissed off right now. I was at school and someone hit and broke my side view mirror on my Camry. Im just glad that they barely clipped it so the actual mirror isnt cracked, its jut the housing. I took it off and used hot glue and stuk it back on but it came off again in like a week. I need a new one but Toyotas probably gonna sk like close to $100 Ebay got them for like 40$ but ill have to paint them, so Im thinking about getting one from a junkyard if ima need to paint it. I wanted to know how to do it? I know im gonna have to wetsand the existing paint but then? Do I just go and paint or will I need to primer it first?or anything else

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
do a search on paint/body work...people have discussed the general steps to doing sop

and basically it's sand, then sand, then wet sand, then wet sand, then primer, then sand, then primer, then sand, then paint, then sand, then paint, then sand, then wet sand, then buff

you get the idea

and if you don't want to have to go through this entire thing anyway, use epoxy on your broken housing and it will stay together no problem. hot glue does not work well.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
i dont know what color car you have, but you could just buy the black ones and be done with it (ones that came on the DX)

Post in the WTB section, someone may have one laying around and be willing to help you out;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was just sand, wet sand, primer, slight wet sand, few thing layers of paint, slight wet sand to smooth, then another few thin layers of clearcot, then slight wet sand to get the few years old worn type look.( about the same huh?) As for the black I dont like the black ones, I preher color. Mine is dusk ble pearl: code-930

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
947 Posts
OP,
Had to do some paint work on the bumpers on my daughter's Mitsu. Got the primer, color, and clearcoat here.. http://www.paintscratch.com . FAQ on the site should answer most of your questions. A little pricey but the service was fast and the color match was dead on.
FWIW
YMMV

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
The dealer will more likely be around $175 for the mirror.

Best 2 ideas:

www.ebay.com
www.car-part.com

Get a used one, color MATCHED. I think I have a Casmere Beige Metallic one for for a Gen 3, haha. Forgot what side though. I have too much crap laying around......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im actually going to get one off ebay, its only 30$ w/shipping. But its black so I have to paint it. Better than paying so much at a dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts