Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm planning to paint the interior of my camry 96. I wanna make the color blue and some other color, not sure yet. I heard that this takes a lot of time but I am willing to take the time. I'm not so sure about the difficulty.
Any tips on painting the interior?
And what items do i need? And what would you recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry
1,384 Posts
There's been a few threads about this topic, if you search you will find all the information you need to do this.

I think I made a thread about it myself.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
the trick to paintig your interior is to know when to stop. some people go over the top and it comes out being distasteful. and take your time plan it out think about what you want it too look like and try to make it look like it came as a factory option. i did my interior as subtle as possible.
look at ufoz interior it's one of the most well thought out interiors on tn next to mine;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ufoz's page is herehere
his car is badass.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to make my interior look better than ufoz's. :rolleyes: i wish...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry but even after reading it, i still don't get it. I read how ufoz did it and am i supposed to sand down every piece that i paint?
if not, do i just get the spray paints and spray paint it?
and do i have to put clear coating after the paint?

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry
1,384 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
well, you can just paint over everything without sanding... but it wont stick and itll flake off.

I did 2 coats of black and then 2 coats of clear on every plastic piece inside the interior. No flaking.
You sanded the vinyl and the carpet inserts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm planning on 2 weeks to get everything prepared since i have SAT's next week. Then i'm gonna get started on it and i'll post some pics up along the way if i can. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry
1,384 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
No... I only painted the plastic pieces. The rest of it was rewrapped in black vinyl. And the carpet door inserts were replaced with new suede inserts.
Ah, ok.

How much did re-doing the whole interior cost you?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so basically the steps are to clean the parts you wanna paint, sand it down a little, prime it, spray the paint, then put a coating on it?
i asked a friend who got his interior done in a shop and he said there are no such things as vinyl paint or spray, but only come in some material form.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i used krylon fusion to paint my interior pieces and i used velvet for the door inserts cause it shined more:D the headliner is also going to be velvet and i'm going to make a design for it and use fiber optics so it will light up at night;) i'll have pics as soon as i'm done

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
.tony. .riot. said:
I'm really interested in doing this. Could you give me a real answer?
lol.

Originally posted by .tony. .riot. I didnt use primer on any of the parts that I painted. I just sanded them really lightly and cleaned them off reeeally well with acetone then I got to putting down my coats of paint and clear. And your friend who says there is no such thing as vinyl paint is full of shit. Go to Pep Boys and feast your eyes on like 20 different brands of it.
is this for the plastic parts only? or the vinyl parts also?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey. today i went to pep boys and they don't have krylon or SEM paint. All they had were Plasti-cote brands. any clue?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts