Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there suggestions on how to (easily) diagnose parking brake issues? I'm not sure I have the know-how and tools to dig down into the actual parking brake mechanism in the rear wheels.

When I tried using the parking brake pedal, it had quite a bit of resistance, instead of ratcheting as expected, and then suddenly made a thunk sound and got floored with very little resistance. I wonder if a cable broke.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure your rear wheels still spin freely.
How? Btw, it is an AWD model.

There is a squeak if rocking the car slightly. I'm not sure if that was present before or not. I'm hoping the brakes are not dragging.

If rusted tight, that sure would be quite the unpleasant surprise...

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
11,602 Posts
How? Btw, it is an AWD model.

There is a squeak if rocking the car slightly. I'm not sure if that was present before or not. I'm hoping the brakes are not dragging.

If rusted tight, that sure would be quite the unpleasant surprise...
There should be at least minimum slack to the wheels even with a axle. Better off checking than risking your differential or wheel bearing.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the parking brake is not (properly) engaged because I tested it on an incline and it doesn't hold the vehicle at all regardless of parking brake pedal position. As for whether there is some brake drag, that I don't know how to check.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
911 Posts
Jack it up and see if the back wheels spin. Check cables for corrosion or rust. Make sure they are in adjustment and not sticking too.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it ok to jack it up from the pinch weld or something in that area? I have a 2.5 ton (2268 kg) hydraulic jack, but no jack stands. The manual shows the front and rear jack points (and this post does an even better job), but I haven't seen any mention of the common jacking points near the wheels for changing a flat tire, etc.

Is there a diagram showing the locations of the parking brake cables?

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
911 Posts
Crossmember or pinch welds. If you don’t have Jack stands you can use some cinder blocks if you have any extras laying around that’s what I used to use.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I found out that the jack doesn't jack when it is at the rear crossmember jack point of the Venza because there isn't enough vertical space for the handle to go up and down when it is under the vehicle...

Also, I got a pair of 3 ton jack stands, but noticed in the instructions that it says to use only with points which match the stand's support (and showed a picture of an axle).

Some rare jack stands have a vertical slot presumably for pinch welds, but most don't, and neither do any of the stands that I found at several stores.

Some comments online say that using the wrong jack stand, or using any jack/stand, on the pinch welds could bend them and damage the vehicle. Keep in mind these are "internet comments" but at the same time the lack of instructions in the Venza's owner's manual about side jacking points or recommendations on where to place jack stands leaves me concerned both for the vehicle and for human safety.

Is there any official guidance on which kinds of jack stands can be used, and where?

·
Registered
11,602 Posts
They go there, they may bend but rather those bend then lose a limb. They can always be bent back later. Vehicle hoist will use those lift points regardless of an adapter or not so it is up to you to make use of the pinch weld or find another spot instead. Mind you, this is a debate topic.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm shocked that this is a topic of debate. Considering the seriousness of the matter, I was certainly hoping for, and expecting, an official manufacturer's guidance, at the very least in the manual. This lack leaves me uneasy. An internet debate isn't what I would gamble literal life and limb on.

Yes, I've seen pictures of the curved, not slotted, jack stands used at the pinch welds. If the pinch weld bends, that sounds really bad, not just in terms of damage, but because it suggests that something (eg. jack stand position or support profile) is not being used as designed. I've also seen them used on a flat area just behind the pinch welds... there's no way I'm experimenting with "novel" positions.

I guess I will have to carefully used the stands at the pinch welds. At least it's an improvement vs nothing. I was livid to find out a family member was using the jack as a stand, and without any other safety, just based on the "locking" feature of the jack, even though it has warning stickers explicitly warning against using it as a support. It boggles my mind how some can literally risk life to save a (very) few dollars or minutes.

Jack stands aside, I still need to figure out how to raise the vehicle if the floor jack doesn't work under the official jack points. I could try jacking from the pinch weld on one side and put a jack stand, then do the same at other side, but I don't know if that would be ok, since it won't be purely vertical motion.

·
Registered
11,602 Posts
I'm shocked that this is a topic of debate. Considering the seriousness of the matter, I was certainly hoping for, and expecting, an official manufacturer's guidance, at the very least in the manual. This lack leaves me uneasy. An internet debate isn't what I would gamble literal life and limb on.

Yes, I've seen pictures of the curved, not slotted, jack stands used at the pinch welds. If the pinch weld bends, that sounds really bad, not just in terms of damage, but because it suggests that something (eg. jack stand position or support profile) is not being used as designed. I've also seen them used on a flat area just behind the pinch welds... there's no way I'm experimenting with "novel" positions.

I guess I will have to carefully used the stands at the pinch welds. At least it's an improvement vs nothing. I was livid to find out a family member was using the jack as a stand, and without any other safety, just based on the "locking" feature of the jack, even though it has warning stickers explicitly warning against using it as a support. It boggles my mind how some can literally risk life to save a (very) few dollars or minutes.

Jack stands aside, I still need to figure out how to raise the vehicle if the floor jack doesn't work under the official jack points. I could try jacking from the pinch weld on one side and put a jack stand, then do the same at other side, but I don't know if that would be ok, since it won't be purely vertical motion.
The manufacturer is as what is stated. Front or rear crossmembers or the four pinch welds. Other methods is to use the frame. It's a debate topic. Use your own discretion because like I said, some shops ain't gonna use adapters just for pinch welds, some people will be picky about their pinch welds, and this can go on and on and on and on. It's at a point where you might as well just never work on a vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The manufacturer is as what is stated. Front or rear crossmembers or the four pinch welds.
Where does the manufacturer/manual mention the pinch welds? I've been looking for that.

·
Registered
11,602 Posts
Where does the manufacturer/manual mention the pinch welds? I've been looking for that.
Nowhere. That is my own discretion as the owners manual is only gonna tell you to jack from the crossmembers. It's "universal knowledge". If you are still worried, Youtube it and you will still likely get confused but these are my answers.
  1. Pinch welds
  2. Crossmember
  3. Frame
  4. Whatever is the most stable and structurally sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I guess I will have to carefully used the stands at the pinch welds.

I have a floor jack that I raise our 2013 Venza using the cross members front and rear. Jack stands then go on either side at the marked pinch weld locations.

I use these hard rubber covers on top of the jack stands to protect the pinch weld:

·
2011 Venza
3,101 Posts
So I found out that the jack doesn't jack when it is at the rear crossmember jack point of the Venza because there isn't enough vertical space for the handle to go up and down when it is under the vehicle...
If you get it on this point, it will jack a little bit to start and then go fine.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nowhere. That is my own discretion as the owners manual is only gonna tell you to jack from the crossmembers.
Found it at the spare tire instructions on p. 532 of the 2009 owner's manual. They call it a jack point, with no mention of pinch weld, but the diagram shows it.

If you get it on this point, it will jack a little bit to start and then go fine.
I can't seem to get it started. With the jack in position, the handle is under the muffler area. The removable jack handle has a lot of wobble in its socket before actuating the pump, so it never actually starts pumping within that distance. Not even a little.

Any thoughts on whether it's ok to put the vehicle on the two jack stands one at a time, by jacking alternately from each side at the pinch welds?

·
Registered
11,602 Posts
Found it at the spare tire instructions on p. 532 of the 2009 owner's manual. They call it a jack point, with no mention of pinch weld, but the diagram shows it.

View attachment 317297

I can't seem to get it started. With the jack in position, the handle is under the muffler area. The removable jack handle has a lot of wobble in its socket before actuating the pump, so it never actually starts pumping within that distance. Not even a little.

Any thoughts on whether it's ok to put the vehicle on the two jack stands one at a time, by jacking alternately from each side at the pinch welds?
That is how I do it.

·
Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is how I do it.
One jack stand at a time?

I just noticed your sig. "Don't make issues more complicated than they need to be." How do you know how complicated they need to be? 😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts