Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
One jack stand at a time?

I just noticed your sig. "Don't make issues more complicated than they need to be." How do you know how complicated they need to be? 馃榿
I put the parking brake on, I choke the wheel(s), I jack from the lift point with enough space to place a jack stand.

Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
Discussion Starter #22
Not to be difficult but which lift point? Also, as the subject of this thread is broken parking brakes, I don't have their use. Chocking the wheels with bricks is what I'll have to rely on.

Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
Not to be difficult but which lift point? Also, as the subject of this thread is broken parking brakes, I don't have their use. Chocking the wheels with bricks is what I'll have to rely on.
Which ever lift point I got to use whether that means lifting from the frame rail lift point or the crossmember. Just Youtube it.

Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
Discussion Starter #24
Finally got around to jacking the rear at the pinch welds. The jack head fits perfectly in the grooves in the pinch weld at the jacking points. That's the good news.

The bad news is the wheels are not free and the resistance/rubbing is definitely the source of the squeaks. There is enough friction to make it resist turning easily and make noise, but not enough to hold the vehicle in place.

Registered
2009 Venza V6 AWD
Discussion Starter #25
It turns out the parking brakes were a mess: the left cable was seized, some of the parking brake internals had come apart and gotten ground up inside, and as for the right side... the cable was cut and the hardware was missing.

Since we had the vehicle inspected at a dealer before purchasing (from an individual), and the inspection failed to mention that the parking brakes didn't work, the dealer agreed to fix it. A rough estimate of the cost comes to nearly a thousand dollars! And they even used a few non-OEM parts due to lacking availability.

Before driving away from the dealer we tested the parking brake... and it would not hold the vehicle! That was after the vehicle had stayed with them for a couple of days. So they the technician adjust it (again) asap while we waited. They said it may still need future adjustment as the cables and parking brakes wear in.

With the parking brake engaged and the vehicle in park, I can still get a slight movement by pushing the vehicle from the front or back. With the car in gear (drive or reverse) a slight tough of the accelerator will also get it moving.

How well do other Venza's parking brakes hold the vehicle?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts