Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the actual size of these 14mm(Head size) bolts please? Part no: 90119-10069

Have searched the web & can only find - "Order them now" Not a size or description.

Need a set of 4 - with the world's current state of affairs, can't order direct from Toyota.
Going to try & get a set from somewhere else, ebay etc - If I can get the size I need to order.

If anyone has any idea please let me know - Thanks

TOYOTA HILUX JPPLN105R-TRMRSW - POWERTRAIN-CHASSIS - FRONT STEERING GEAR LINK | Japan Parts EU

·
Various Toyotas
4,912 Posts
Did you ever get the size figured out?

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - No - Just received this from Toyota UK

Dear Hilux
Thank you for your message.
We may be able to help when our store reopens however there is no stock of these bolts in the UK.
We would be able to get some from our European parts warehouse but this may take longer than normal due to the current Covid-19 situation.
We anticipate it could take approximately 10 days to receive it from the date of order.
The cost of the bolts is £2.40 incl VAT each.
Please do let us know if you would like us to make them available with the extended lead time when we reopen.
Kind Regards
Toyota Official Store Team

Case Number: CASE129692

Ref:MSGDEV9811

·
Various Toyotas
4,912 Posts
Do you not have any of the old bolts? My manual steering pickup is an '87 made in Japan, but I don't know if the bolts would be the same as your unit. If you don't have any of the bolts, I can pull one of mine and measure it. Don't know if it'll be the same as yours.

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John - Thank you for replying - Finally ordered direct from Toyota now.

Cheers for your interest.

Mike

·
Various Toyotas
4,912 Posts
OK, let us know how it goes when you receive them.

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooooh they're here - Hopefully get the steering box fitted tomorrow.

Expensive 4 bolts £2.50 each & £3.49 postage......

BUT it gets the truck back on the road.

·
Various Toyotas
4,912 Posts
Oooooh they're here - Hopefully get the steering box fitted tomorrow.

Expensive 4 bolts £2.50 each & £3.49 postage......

BUT it gets the truck back on the road.
For those of us here in USA, what he's paying in Pounds Sterling would be converted to $3.09 per each bolt. Retail price in USA for that bolt is $2.16 (or a bit less) at the local Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok - In comparison then that's not too bad.
They had to be shipped in from Germany as there was no stock of this part in the UK.

Have put the time aside tomorrow, to get the new steering box on...finally...!

There's the 4 old ones on the floor.
On removal of the old box, I found that the previous owner had rounded the heads off & I had to force a 13mm socket on, with a bit of heat, to get them off.
They are a pig to remove if you don't know how, simple to do though, if you just take your time & think about how it all goes together...

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it fitted back on the vehicle

The 4 new shiny bolts - holding the steering box to the bracket

This is the hard bit - Getting it back up through the chassis & inner wing.

1. It's bloody heavy.
2. When only 1 person is doing the job, pushing it through the bottom of the wing & trying to get your other arm up and down through the top of the engine bay to pull it on top of the chassis.
3. It is a zig zag shape, so doesn't exactly slide into place...

Once in place: Pitman arm is regreased ready to fit into the extended drag link

Steering knuckle needs to be fitted to the steering box & ensure the steering geometry & box are all in balance.

Run the engine - Bleed in the new steering fluid.
With the axle propped up to keep the wheels off the floor, just keep turning from lock to lock - Leave 10 mins & bleed again..& so forth.

All done

·
Various Toyotas
4,912 Posts
Thanks for the photos, and I'm glad you got it done. I thought you had manual steering? Mine is manual steering.

·
Registered
LN106 Hilux 96
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi John

By manual steering you do mean: Non PAS?
It's a term I've never come across, manual steering.

Are the earlier Hilux models before yours in the US, the same?
As far as I'm aware the Mk1 & earlier Mk2 Hilux models were not fitted with PAS in the UK - The Mk3 onwards, were fitted as standard.

UK vehicle spec is defined as: PAS (Power Assisted Steering) & for much older models - Non PAS.

·
Various Toyotas
4,912 Posts
It is not what you call "Power Assisted Steering". Generally we shorten that term to "Power Steering", and I don't have power steering. It's completely manual; no power steering fluid is used. There were models with power steering, but mine is a base model. It has a carburetor instead of throttle body fuel injection, which other models did have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts