Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find out what parts from other cars and years and what other years of cressida parts fit my 85. Parts are not easy to find where I live. Would like to know mostly about options for suspension. Shocks springs coilovers ect.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
A question regarding what other cars & years requires a look at each individual part. You aren't specific enough for folks to really help you with your question. If you are looking for aftermarket choices, perhaps research RockAuto.com. Otherwise, would need to know if you are talking front or rear suspension, is your car a wagon or sedan, does it have TEMS or not, etc., etc., etc.When you bring up coilovers, you must be talking about aftermarket parts, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A question regarding what other cars & years requires a look at each individual part. You aren't specific enough for folks to really help you with your question. If you are looking for aftermarket choices, perhaps research RockAuto.com. Otherwise, would need to know if you are talking front or rear suspension, is your car a wagon or sedan, does it have TEMS or not, etc., etc., etc.When you bring up coilovers, you must be talking about aftermarket parts, right?
Correct. I'm looking for anything aftermarket, related to front and rear suspension. Bushings sway bars everything that could beef up the car and springs or coilovers. To lower and stiffin up the ride a little. My car is an 85 sedan non TEMs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The only advice I can give is to be patient and creative. I bought an 87 Wagon less than a year ago and have spent a lot of time rebuilding the suspension. In my case (wagon) my options are very limited. I have been able to replace front coil inserts w stiffer KYB parts (from Autozone). Rear KYB shocks from OReilly. Control arms from eBay. Tie rod ends from Autozone. Sway bar bushings from eBay. Rear poly outer control arm bushings from eBay. Rear poly sway bar bushings from eBay. Poly end links are easy to find

check Toyo Tech Tuning on line. I bought an awesome rear panard bar from them. Impeccable quality. I know they have coil overs for the sedan with adjustable camber plates.

stand alone components like lowering springs are hard to find. Summit racing has a large selection of racing springs but you will have to decide on ride height and spring rate on your own. I never saw anything for the front coil over springs but you can get a non vehicle rear spring that gives you what you want

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only advice I can give is to be patient and creative. I bought an 87 Wagon less than a year ago and have spent a lot of time rebuilding the suspension. In my case (wagon) my options are very limited. I have been able to replace front coil inserts w stiffer KYB parts (from Autozone). Rear KYB shocks from OReilly. Control arms from eBay. Tie rod ends from Autozone. Sway bar bushings from eBay. Rear poly outer control arm bushings from eBay. Rear poly sway bar bushings from eBay. Poly end links are easy to find

check Toyo Tech Tuning on line. I bought an awesome rear panard bar from them. Impeccable quality. I know they have coil overs for the sedan with adjustable camber plates.

stand alone components like lowering springs are hard to find. Summit racing has a large selection of racing springs but you will have to decide on ride height and spring rate on your own. I never saw anything for the front coil over springs but you can get a non vehicle rear spring that gives you what you want
This is really helpful I've been debating just going through summit anyways this just confirms. I've seen the coilovers on toyo and they're just as pricy as the bc racing coilovers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm going to help you out because I love Cressidas and I want to continue to see them on the road but I'm going to drop some knowledge real quick:

1) The MX73 Cressida mostly shares it's suspension pieces with the MX63 Cressida and the MKII Supra/Celica Supra, this means you should be able to utilize most pieces, not all, from 1983-1988 Cressidas and 1982-1986 Supras/Celica Supras. Suspension wise they are mostly identical. An old post from the Celica Supra forums can also shed some light on this for you: Celica Supra And Cressida Suspension Topic

2) Engine wise the 5MGE was also in the 1983-1988 Cressidas and the 1982-1986 Supras/Celica Supras, any Cressida or Supra before those years has a 5ME or 4ME in it and is not compatible with your 5MGE

3) Auto dismantlers will be your best friend going forward for most parts that are not meant to be replaced (ie; windows, doors, seats, trim, radios, engines, transmissions, etc.) Get familiar and friendly with your local U Pick N Pull type dismantlers but keep in mind the Cressida is rare to come by at these places now as they were pretty common 10-20 years ago when they were at their 20 year old age and height in popularity. You'll notice a lot of Civics, Corollas and Camrys from the late 90's and early 00's as those were the most popular cars on the road then and dismantlers are usually 20 years behind the current times.

4) A simple google search of "MX73 Suspension" leads you down some prosperous roads. If you have a part number you can pretty much find anything. You can find part numbers in the Toyota Service Manuals for the Cressida (aka BGB [Big Green Book]). Search Ebay or Mercari for a manual it will come in handy and is worth the asking price if you plan to keep it on the road. I still have mine for my 1990 Cressida and I sold that thing 7 years ago and for my 1989 Celica that I sold 10 years ago, it even covers the GT4.

Now, my favorite place to shop for OEM Toyota parts is toyotapartsdeal.com because they source parts for dealers and have tons of NOS (new old stock) on hand. I found just about every suspension piece under the sun for the Cressida although some have been phased out. They also have better than dealer pricing so that's a win: 1985 OEM Toyota Cressida Suspension Parts

Keep in mind the Cressida was a luxury vehicle that was phased out 30 years ago and is long forgotten by most in this world. Ebay, toyotapartsdeal.com, toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com, technotoytuning.com/toyota/mx73, rockauto.com, tirerack.com, MX73 - MX32 - GX71 - MX6x - Cressida - MX - GX - Toyota, will be just about the only sites that will have parts for it anymore. You may get lucky going to an actual Toyota dealer if they have something lying around but good luck with that. .

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to help you out because I love Cressidas and I want to continue to see them on the road but I'm going to drop some knowledge real quick:

1) The MX73 Cressida mostly shares it's suspension pieces with the MX63 Cressida and the MKII Supra/Celica Supra, this means you should be able to utilize most pieces, not all, from 1983-1988 Cressidas and 1982-1986 Supras/Celica Supras. Suspension wise they are mostly identical. An old post from the Celica Supra forums can also shed some light on this for you: Celica Supra And Cressida Suspension Topic

2) Engine wise the 5MGE was also in the 1983-1988 Cressidas and the 1982-1986 Supras/Celica Supras, any Cressida or Supra before those years has a 5ME or 4ME in it and is not compatible with your 5MGE

3) Auto dismantlers will be your best friend going forward for most parts that are not meant to be replaced (ie; windows, doors, seats, trim, radios, engines, transmissions, etc.) Get familiar and friendly with your local U Pick N Pull type dismantlers but keep in mind the Cressida is rare to come by at these places now as they were pretty common 10-20 years ago when they were at their 20 year old age and height in popularity. You'll notice a lot of Civics, Corollas and Camrys from the late 90's and early 00's as those were the most popular cars on the road then and dismantlers are usually 20 years behind the current times.

4) A simple google search of "MX73 Suspension" leads you down some prosperous roads. If you have a part number you can pretty much find anything. You can find part numbers in the Toyota Service Manuals for the Cressida (aka BGB [Big Green Book]). Search Ebay or Mercari for a manual it will come in handy and is worth the asking price if you plan to keep it on the road. I still have mine for my 1990 Cressida and I sold that thing 7 years ago and for my 1989 Celica that I sold 10 years ago, it even covers the GT4.

Now, my favorite place to shop for OEM Toyota parts is toyotapartsdeal.com because they source parts for dealers and have tons of NOS (new old stock) on hand. I found just about every suspension piece under the sun for the Cressida although some have been phased out. They also have better than dealer pricing so that's a win: 1985 OEM Toyota Cressida Suspension Parts

Keep in mind the Cressida was a luxury vehicle that was phased out 30 years ago and is long forgotten by most in this world. Ebay, toyotapartsdeal.com, toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com, technotoytuning.com/toyota/mx73, rockauto.com, tirerack.com, MX73 - MX32 - GX71 - MX6x - Cressida - MX - GX - Toyota, will be just about the only sites that will have parts for it anymore. You may get lucky going to an actual Toyota dealer if they have something lying around but good luck with that. .

Good luck!
Thats what I really wanted to know, thats huge the problem isn't so much the car as it is my area. I live in nebraska so if its hard to come by somewhere its 10x that here. I've look for a cressida for several years now for the right price and found mine on an actions site with 102,000 original miles it sat since the 90s. And only took me about 6 hours to get it running. Draining the old gas was easy it was replacing the fuel pump and cleaning all the rust and crap out of the tank that took forever. And replacing some of the dry rotted intake pieces and getting a new header because it was pretty much rotted. The car is in amazing shape the car was owned by a guy that had a pretty big collection of gm cars and even started a museum of all chevys. So the car was probably stored appropriately. This is literally a dream car of mine. And I've dealt with my fair share of limited parts or just none but old hot rods are a little easier to just cut up and reamke something that works. I probably wont even manual swap it until the 5m gets pulled and I swap the engine with the minimal availability for parts in my area its not really worth keeping it in there for the future vision I have for the car. The suspension is the only complaint I have now its so floaty and bad. All that information is exactly what I was looking for I dont know how much the celica supra will have for lower end coilovers. But it will be worth a shot to see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts