Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pulling Out
1995 Toyota Camry LE
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching for 3 days straight, I have gotten the following list of parts that I have seen mentioned in order to swap out my current 5SFE (which is at 197k miles) for a 3SGTE

3SGTE from Toyota Celica (JDM if I can find one)
ECU and electronics from whatever Celica I get it out of
Custom Exhaust and Intercooler Pipes
New transmission (as mine is auto with 197k)

I only have a few questions left:

1. Do I have to convert to manual, and if so, how hard and costly is that to do? I read something about an E153 transmission.

2. How hard is the install of this engine? Should I get an auto shop to do it or can I swap it myself? (I have moderate engine swapping experience, mostly with old V8's)

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
2-3000? yeah, for a brand new tranny straight from toyota... you can easily find these for 900 or less from local scrap yards, although sure, ur taking a chance, but cars dont usually end up there cause of trannies... usually crashed or blown engine :p: ,

A JDM 3S-GTE Engine will cost you around 1300-1400 not including like 300-400 shipping depending on location, if you want i can give you a good site to get them from.

·
Pulling Out
1995 Toyota Camry LE
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What difference would there be in getting a JDM 3SGTE and getting a US engine and a CT20B? Would that be easier?

I'm not really worried about the price of the transmission, just the installation. I would have to convert from auto to manual, and everybody I asked about that said it was a b**ch to do. There are a lot of junkyards around here, including one that you pay $40 and can get all that you can carry out. How heavy are 3SGTEs? lol.

·
Grenaded piston
6,584 Posts
S2B_Blown_3.5 said:
What difference would there be in getting a JDM 3SGTE and getting a US engine and a CT20B? Would that be easier?
JDM 3S-GTEs are rated higher horsepower wise.

1st and 2nd gen is 225hp. 3rd gen is 245hp.

The best thing to do is buy a clip (Celica All Trac/GT4 or MR2 Turbo). Unless you happen to find one that has a complete engine, wiring harness, etc... that you can pick from.

A 3S-GTE will not mount up properly in your car. The motor will lean to one side. You need custom motor mounts, talk to Wraith about it.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Ne0z31 said:
2-3000? yeah, for a brand new tranny straight from toyota... you can easily find these for 900 or less from local scrap yards, although sure, ur taking a chance, but cars dont usually end up there cause of trannies... usually crashed or blown engine :p: ,

A JDM 3S-GTE Engine will cost you around 1300-1400 not including like 300-400 shipping depending on location, if you want i can give you a good site to get them from.
Oh, Whoops.

I meant 2000-3000 w/ install. But since he is going to be installing himself, I'd say it'll be along the lines of 1500.

Tell me if these estimates are good:
1000 for tranny.
300 for shipping.
200 that will be spent for install.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Not to mention you will need a custom ECU which will run you $1200 just for it. Talk to Wriath about that too if he'll respond

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
:hammer: So my first estimate was correct.

Yo, Do you have an AIM? I wanna talk to you about this sometime. PM me.

·
Grenaded piston
6,584 Posts
Rapeacivic said:
Not to mention you will need a custom ECU which will run you $1200 just for it. Talk to Wriath about that too if he'll respond
I think you meant to say custom wiring harness.

You can use a 3S-GTE ECU. Unless you want to go full standalone, but thats $$$.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Yeah my bad:lol: , Custom wiring harress. God I'm not here today:disappoin

·
Pulling Out
1995 Toyota Camry LE
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help, time to start collecting parts for the install. I'm going to get everything up and ready to put in since my camry is my daily driver. I'll go ahead and get the engine, ECU, and transmission and see what I need afterwards, as of now I don't know what model the parts will be.

BTW I don't have AIM, just msn.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,716 Posts
S2B_Blown_3.5 said:
Thanks for all the help, time to start collecting parts for the install. I'm going to get everything up and ready to put in since my camry is my daily driver. I'll go ahead and get the engine, ECU, and transmission and see what I need afterwards, as of now I don't know what model the parts will be.

BTW I don't have AIM, just msn.
One bit of advice... do NOT do this to a daily driver car. Get another car - you will need it.

-Charlie

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
white90dx said:
One bit of advice... do NOT do this to a daily driver car. Get another car - you will need it.

-Charlie
Are you saying its not good to have a 3sgte for a daily driver? Please explain.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,716 Posts
CamNub said:
Are you saying its not good to have a 3sgte for a daily driver? Please explain.
No, that's not what I'm saying. Once the car is up and running (and if you don't mod it too much after that) the car should be plenty reliable. The problem comes in building the car - it will take you at least 3x as long as you think it will to finish everything. Are you prepared to be without your car for a month or four? Just remember that when you start.

-Charlie

·
Registered
97 Posts
^:werd:

·
Pulling Out
1995 Toyota Camry LE
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a 83 Tercel I guess I could drive while the Camry is in the shop. Once again, thanks for the help, and the warning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts