Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 86 Camry turbo diesel for a “good deal?”-maybe, and now I’m looking for some unique parts. First thing is the F-L subframe-like-bracket that the sway bar bushing/bracket attaches to is rotted out (pictured). I can’t find one new or salvaged yet, so I was wondering if anyone may be willing to sell me one or know where I may find one
Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory
. For now Im working on an attempt to reconstruct it, however I don’t think it will be positioned right or reliable afterwards. My second part I’m looking for advice on is the turbo, the turbo on my 2.0L 2c-tlc has loose bearings and is seeping oil, the turbo says “CT-20 TOYOTA” on the compressor. Looking this up The closest thing I can find is ct-20 turbos for 84-95 2.4L 4-runners part number 17201-54030, where as the part number I find for a Camry diesel is 17201-64020. I can’t yet find I 100% compatible turbo rebuild kit yet either. Anyone know the details about the variants of the ct20 turbo and it’s applications, or any other advice helpful to that situation?
Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

·
Kanmuri
1985 Camry MT, 2000 Explorer MT
331 Posts
Any 1st gen Camry should have the swaybar mount you're looking for. Have a look at www.hollanderparts.com I hope someone else chimes in about your turbo situation because I have no clue. That site I just mentioned may have some other parts you need too. It's junkyard stuff though so be aware.

I've seen only a few TD's in my 4 years of ownership. It's difficult enough to find certain parts for my 2SE so I can't imagine what the Diesels are like.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
That swaybar bracket looks quite similar to the gen2 bracket, but I wouldn't expect it to cross over between generations.

The CT20 is the early/small Toyota turbo. If I was going to take a chance on a rebuild, I would start with parts from the turbo 22r, like you found. The housings are different, but hopefully the bearings and seals are compatible.

Worst case, a custom setup with a small but modern would be better for more power and efficiency, most likely...

-Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts