Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts
I don’t think that’s illegal, because my ‘97 F150 has a key switch to disable the passenger side airbag. More modern vehicles have a switch in the seat bottom to avoid needlessly deploying them if nobody’s sitting there. Not sure if these old Camrys have that, but I doubt it. Maybe somebody else knows?

·
short-throw dipstick
6,027 Posts
I think you're not supposed to put your 8 month-old daughter in the front seat for exactly that reason, you need to put the car seat in the rear center. I don't have any kids (that I know of) but a quick Googling brings up tons of guides on the subject. I.e, Where Should You Put Your Car Seat? - Safe Ride 4 Kids

·
Registered
Toyotas.
402 Posts
The 1999 Camry does NOT have weight sensors in the front seats. Nor side airbags.
The reason that the trucks of that era had disable switches was that they were generally three passenger vehicles, and putting a child in the back seat would present some difficulties, namely that there is no back seat. And, unless I am mistaken, that switch automatically resets every time.
Further research did reveal that there is no Federal law against disabling airbags, but that there are state laws against such. And your insurance company can refuse to pay when you modify your vehicle in such a manner.

But, it's your car, do what you want.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,646 Posts
Mine has side airbags in the seat. As far as disabling the front. There's a cover on the inside top of the glove box that you pull down and there's where the connector is for the passenger airbag. Open the glove box and look on the top and you'll see a rectangle panel that you can pull down. It will make the airbag light stay on in the dash though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts

·
Registered
Toyotas.
402 Posts
I'm still thinking it's because it's a truck,no suitable back seat and all.
As to side airbags, I've owned 5 '99 Camrys. Gone through probably 50-60 in junkyards over the years. And I've never seen side airbags in a '97-'01 Camry. Could have missed it, sure. AndI see the wiring in the manual. But I cannot recall ever seeing one in the flesh.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,646 Posts
The sticker saying it is on the seat by the controls. I can take a picture of mine later

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts