Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good mod... Thanks for the info.

Only thing I did different was mount the inverter on the back wall, and I picked up some clear LEDs instead of using the ones I pulled out of the inverter...

Regardless; a few pics even though they are pretty crappy, you get the idea:

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
Cool

Nice job man i did exact same thing just recently finished it, but i actually mounted my inverter under the seat but now that i think about it would be better behind the rear seat plus theres tons of free space i dont even use that space that much except for tie downs and jumper cables. Hell i might even take the time to move it back there great idea.:D

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Hey man, that looks great. Is that inverter in your photo mounted behind the front seats? <edit sorry...against the back wall I see now> I have an access cab and am wodering where the best place to put one would be. Nice job!

BTW, didnt you have your antenna stolen twice? What ever happened to that situation?

·
Registered
448 Posts
novataco said:
Hey man, that looks great. Is that inverter in your photo mounted behind the front seats? I have an access cab and am wodering where the best place to put one would be. Nice job!

BTW, didnt you have your antenna stolen twice? What ever happened to that situation?
He has it mounted behand the back seats on a D-Cab, if you check the DIY in the sticky above PB2theMax did a write up on the install with great detail and he mounted it under the front passanger seat, that would probably be the best place for it in a A-Cab.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
looks good man! I may do the same this with my DCab in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Dumb Question for everyone

What are you planning on running in the cab with a 750 W inverter? I would think the 750 would be more useful out back, and a little one in the cab.

I've run laptops, camera chargers and the like off a 75W, plugged into the lighter. I've run small TVs straight off the lighter.

For the bed, would be cool to be able to plug in a big blender, coffee pot, TV set, big saw, etc.

What am I missing? I would think of upgrading the back end one before putting a big one in the cab.

But it is a really nice clean mod, regardless of what you use it for.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Looks great, 55. :thumbup: It looks like you also added a plug or two on the back of the center console, as well. I couldn't totally tell from your pics.

These in-cab outlets are a small amount of work for such a cool mod, and nice convenience. It makes the Taco seem more luxurious. ;)

55, did you have to do some trimming to the bottom area of the lower dash? I did a little bit. It depends how high you mounted the plug. The top of the back of the outlet hit it a little bit. I did a little dremmeling to it, but the center console covers it up once you have it mounted back in place.

The hardest parts of this mod is running the +12v power cable, and extending the wires for the outlets, switch and LEDs. It just takes time. But Dremmeling on the interior pieces takes a steady hand. Once slip and you're f--k'd.

Good work with the wire loom and zip ties. I love using those. I have like 300 ft of different sizes of wire loom. A little wire loom and zip ties go a long way to making wires look much neater.

Glad to see some good quality mods bein' done to other Tacos. :thumbsup:

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I trimmed about 1/2 inch off the center console to fit the plug up front. It was a really tight fit.

The pics suck because my camera was running on its last ounce of power so the focus and flash were all jacked up.

Since I already modded the outlets to be on all the time, I just pulled the juice from the stock circuit with some sideby-side tap connectors while I was running the 16/3 wire up the console for the front outlet.

I've been addicted to wire loom and zip ties for like 10+ years now.. lol... It just makes everything so much easier....

Since I don't think you owned the last gen taco, I'll tell you that they made some improvements on the interior fasteners.. Especially the carpet, and in particuler the caps that cover the rear seat bolts. On the 01 - 04 DC models those things were ALWAYS popping off if you breathed on them to heavy.... I like the way the back of the center console attaches to the rest too.. Pretty cool wedge tabs.... And of course I like the way the 05+ have the felt liner in the console to cover up the 10mm bolts inside instead of the bolts just collecting dirt around them like the last generation...

I'll say this, the more I crawl through this new model Taco the more I like it. I still don't think it's as good of an offroad truck, but it's definately more refined. It's hard to beleive my 04 and my 05 cost me the same price. But what they made up for in "finish" cost them in "toughness" IMHO...

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LiquidClen said:
How much was the inverter
WALMART $79...

But I just saw one today in PepBoys that was 1200 Watts and has a built in LCD that would have been a sweet addition too. Tells you your current draw and error codes etc...

I also used some quick disconnects at the inverter so if it goes out I don't have to cut any cable to pull it out. Just solder the connectors on the new one and *presto*..

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RTFM said:
What are you planning on running in the cab with a 750 W inverter? I would think the 750 would be more useful out back, and a little one in the cab.

I've run laptops, camera chargers and the like off a 75W, plugged into the lighter. I've run small TVs straight off the lighter.

For the bed, would be cool to be able to plug in a big blender, coffee pot, TV set, big saw, etc.

What am I missing? I would think of upgrading the back end one before putting a big one in the cab.

But it is a really nice clean mod, regardless of what you use it for.
Well, two reasons, one because if I'm going to put one in, I might as well use something that have enough juice instead of doing the bare minimum.

Other reason is that I use a 500W Halogen light out in the dunes that barely runs at the 400W I get at idle, and trips the factory circuit all the time.This way I can dedicate the 750W to my Halogen when I need it, and still have the 400W factory to spare for the other BS...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts