Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*edit* If you don't want to read through all these pages you can just check out this vid, which shows the fruits of my labor. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFB3YKsHcs

I started my air horn mod today. This is the equipment I'm using.
Go Air Horns Inc. 4 train horn kit
Air Zenith Compressor
Adjustable pressure switch
5 gallon tank
3/8" & 1/4" SS hose fittings, and DOT approved airbrake hose.
Two 40 amp relays, and a 40 amp circuit breaker
DPDT in cab switch
10 guage power wire
16 gauge wire

It might be a week or two until I finish this mod. Fitting the tank and compressor is going to take some time. I rigged it up so I could see what the horns sound like, and I was very pleased with the results. My ears are still ringing. :lol: It sounds like a real train horn. Nice full sound. It sounds a lot better and louder than I was expecting. These horns are going to be fun :D

Today I got the horns mounted, and connected the hoses from the horns to the solenoid. I also mounted a quick disconnect in the engine compartment.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
nicely done.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The compressor, tank, and air horns cost me about $500 total, but the compressor eats up most of that cost. $300 for the compressor. The horns are composite plastic, which makes them cost less, lighter, and won't corrode or rust. To me, they sound just as good as expensive metal horns.

A 2 or 3 horn kit would have been cheaper and easier to fit, but 4 horns just sounds so much better.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
$500 is a good price IMO considering everything you got.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I worked out a deal with an Ebay seller.

I then spent about another $100 on hose, fittings, bolts, relays, wire, and a switch. The horn kit came with some hose and fittings, but not enough to do what I wanted. So I just bought all new industrial fittings and hose.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
so where will you be mounting the compressor and tank? i left a link in the DMT's horn thread for ya of a guy who mounted a compressor and tank. he did quite a bit of fab work to get it done.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna mount my tank and compressor in that hollow area behind drivers side rear tire.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meh. It's just a ******* truck with a big exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would it be possible to tap into the tube steps or bull bar and use those as the air storage? I know some people use their roll cages in offroad jeeps for their air storage. Just a thought.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It would be possible if the tube steps were built righ..You couldn't do it with most bull bars because they have holes drilled in them where the driving lights mount. I have buddy that made his own rear bumper from a 4" diameter tube. He welded endcaps on and turned it into an air tank. But I'm not sure what will happen if somebody crashes into a bumper full of compressed air. :ugh3:

·
I hate hippies.
1,285 Posts
Pb said:
But I'm not sure what will happen if somebody crashes into a bumper full of compressed air. :ugh3:
PSSSST! Nothing would happen. Haven't you ever tried to shoot a propane tank? That doesn't even blow unless you build a hot campfire underneath it first. Besides, if you got rear ended hard enough to burst the tank a little poof of air would be the least of your worries.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
troyslegacy said:
Honestly, what is the advantage of having this mod? And how is having an air horn on your truck not as ******* as having a straight piped Ford? Not saying it is stupid just not my bag.
:lol: I can agree sort off. To me, air horns on top of the cab would be *******. I guess the coolness factor of this mod is the surprise. It's not visible. There are just so many times when I'm in traffic and the measly stock horn just doesn't cut it. This is certainly a fun mod. Not really useful.

But the main purpose of this mod is for the compressed air system. Airing up tires, an airjack, and air tools. The horns is just an add-on to the compressed air system. I would not do this mod for the purpose of just having air horns. The tank and compressor is the most important part of this whole deal.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
^ x2

Same with me, I have been thinking about doing this mod mostly because it would be a fun addition to having an air compressor on board. I go driving on the beach a lot and in the winter there isn't an air station anywhere near the beach so it's a pain to drive the 7 or 8 miles to the Regional Airport on tires aired down to 14psi to air up my tires. If I could get a CTIS for this truck I would do it in a heartbeat because it SUCKS to get out of the truck all the time for this crap. Too bad the only vehicle I've seen with CTIS is the original Hummer H1...

·
Tacosalad
06 Taco
162 Posts
oh my god...that is friggin hilarious!!!
lol
now I want one of those horns...for the sole purpose of entertainment!!
awesome mod pb!!! keep up the good work

·
Mountaineer
499 Posts
so what if your in traffic and blow this horn, and it scares some lady so bad that she floors her gas and has a wreck? Are you going to be at fault for the wreck?

1 - 20 of 275 Posts