Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to remove my PCV valve (metal) but as I turned it, it did not loosen up the way threaded things do. So I'm about to put some penetrant on it and drive it a bit. I'm guessing some thread locker or sealer stuff could be resisting. It's the original valve, as far as I know.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,693 Posts
The OEM PCV come with the thread locker/sealant. Last one I installed had light beige colored sealant. I would use a metric combination box socket wrench and apply steady CCW torque on the PCV. The valve uses a tapered thread arrangement so someone might have put too much torque on the valve. Half drive breaker bar with a deep reach socket is another method. Regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did back out (somewhere around 1/16 to 1/8"), but it was resisting the same amount the whole time. I was able to exert enough force with an open end wrench to get it to turn, but I was afraid I was somehow doing or about to do damage.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
288 Posts
Yeah I would use penetrating oil and a deep socket with a breaker bar to break it loose

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,693 Posts
It did back out (somewhere around 1/16 to 1/8"), but it was resisting the same amount the whole time. I was able to exert enough force with an open end wrench to get it to turn, but I was afraid I was somehow doing or about to do damage.
I would guess that the sealant on the valve has deteriorated over time and probably resisting CCW torque. Never know till you try if it is just tight or threads are damaged. You might try CW torque to see if you can free the threads up. You'll have to decide. Regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Job is done. I just kept turning it and trusted that the OEM sealant was what was putting up all the resistance. Thanks for the thoughts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts