Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
thawk
2013 TAH Limited, 2009 Tundra SR5 5.7L, 1996 Camry DX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replace the PCV Valve on the 4th gen Hybrid, 4 cyl engine? Would really like to change mine out but seems a lot of dismantling to get to it. Any insight, tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
186 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
is there something wrong with the PCV valve?
Probably not. Took my Avalon in for recall work and they wanted to sell me a new PCV valve ($47), Cabin Air Filter ($61), Throttle Body & MAF Cleaning ($278). Since the maintenance light was not on, did not even ask about changing the oil. Told the dealer no thanks on PCV, Cabing Air Filter, Throttle Body Cleaning. But did have them change the oil for $49.00. Dealer advised the PCV needed to be changed because of mileage (60,079). I found an OEM PCV for significantly less online. Takes about 5 minutes to change.

·
PJSMITH
1,539 Posts
Been there done that. They have done that suggested service to everyone.
I was told long ago. Probably still true. PCV Valves are good or bad. Until it goes bad, it's good.
IMHO for $50 to change the unfindable valve is easy if you want the comfort of it is fresh.
Since the cabin filter is a 5 minute change, and NAPA sells the carbon version for about $20, you have to choose.
I would let it go if it's not being a problem.
Ask them what indicates that the valve needs to be replaced. Their answer will be interesting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Been there done that. They have done that suggested service to everyone.
I was told long ago. Probably still true. PCV Valves are good or bad. Until it goes bad, it's good.
IMHO for $50 to change the unfindable valve is easy if you want the comfort of it is fresh.
Since the cabin filter is a 5 minute change, and NAPA sells the carbon version for about $20, you have to choose.
I would let it go if it's not being a problem.
Ask them what indicates that the valve needs to be replaced. Their answer will be interesting.
They said mileage was primarly the reason to change it. Service writer hit me with, once they stick will cause lots of pressure on seals and gaskets and cause lots oil leaks. PCV is right on top of the valve cover, super easy to get to and literally takes about 5 minutes to change. He didn't say anything about it being preventative maintenance because he knows it is not in the Toyota recommended maintenance schedule. Changing the cabin filter is feeding dealers for $61.00. I've changed mine already once, and will go ahead and do it again. Probably is dirty but I'll save the $41.00. Throttle botty cleaning is squirting some TB cleaner in and knocking the carbon off the throttle plate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The PCV valve may be easy to change on the traditional V6, but it is hidden and hard to reach on the I-4 hybrid, which is why the OP asked the question, albeit in the wrong forum. It is really a hybrid specific problem. In either case, it is wise to change it as PM around 60,000 miles. It is a $10 to $15 part at the dealer. If it goes bad the crankcase can build pressure and blow an engine gasket/seal.

Hey moderator. Please move this thread to the 4th gen hybrid forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts