Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I replaced my pcv valve and I think my mpg went from 22 to 25 mpg on my 1992 Camry 4 cylinder. Does that sound right? Would it make that much of a difference.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
it makes a TON of difference. trust me.

my Gen II camry (actually a LExus ES250) had the Factory PCV valve in it until 140,000 miles. before i changed it, i was getting about 150 Miles per tank, now geting about 220. i also changed the fuel filter, plug wires, added Chevron w/ techron fuel system cleaner and a full tank fo Shell V-power gasoline, oil change, and adjusted tire pressure at this time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah meng, PCV valve is one of the cheapest and easiest pieces of hardware on your car to replace. Engines have failed due to dirty/stuck PCV valves. How many miles were on the clock when you changed it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I just bought the car. It had 148,000 miles on it. I replaced, plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, alternator, coil and battery. It got 22 mpg for two tank fulls. I then replaced the pcv and filled it up and when I checked, it averaged 25 mpg. So it seems I gained 3 mpg's because of the pcv.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ArmyofOne said:
it makes a TON of difference. trust me.

my Gen II camry (actually a LExus ES250) had the Factory PCV valve in it until 140,000 miles. before i changed it, i was getting about 150 Miles per tank, now geting about 220. i also changed the fuel filter, plug wires, added Chevron w/ techron fuel system cleaner and a full tank fo Shell V-power gasoline, oil change, and adjusted tire pressure at this time.
When you changed your PCV valve on your 2VZ-FE did you have to take off the intake plenum? On the 2VZ-FE it's directly under the intake plenum which makes it a pain in the ass to change.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
HeNry2kOoL said:
When you changed your PCV valve on your 2VZ-FE did you have to take off the intake plenum? On the 2VZ-FE it's directly under the intake plenum which makes it a pain in the ass to change.

no i didnt, i got it with a set of tools that looked like they came from a dentists office, they looked like screwdrivers, but the tips were curved and pointed...i just reached through between the intake plenumb tubes and pulled it out, getting it in wasnt easy though, that took a bit of ingunuity.

yellowbalk, DO NOT YANK the pcv out, you will brake it, and it mayfall into the valve cover...that = more work.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
ArmyofOne said:
no i didnt, i got it with a set of tool sthat lokked liek they came froma dentists office, they looked liek screwdrivers, but the tips were curved and pointed...i just reaced through the intake plenumb tubes and yanked it out, getting it in wasnt easy thopugh, that took a bit fo ingunuity.

yellowbalk, DO NOT YANK the pcv out, you will brake it, and it mayfall into the valve cover...that = more work.
You say you "just reaced through the intake plenumb tubes and yanked it out"....
yet you say... "yellowbalk, DO NOT YANK the pcv out, you will brake it, and it mayfall into the valve cover...that = more work."

Care to explain?

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
yaked was a figure of speech...i will edit. :rolleyes:

sorry.

i meant it was fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tools needed

There are tools for this? I had no idea, my manual is at home and I'm still at university. OK, I'll be sure to get the tools.

For the O2 sensor, is removal just a matter of removing two screws? Thanks guys.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
well they arent tools for the PCV valve specifically, but they are handy :whatwhat:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haha, you guys are funny. Changing the PCV was easy as just yanking it out and replacing it. The O2 sensor looks really easy as well. Disconnect, cut splice, replace with new sensor. Total cost for PCV and O2 = $34.

·
Banned
2001 Avalon XLS
114 Posts
yellowbal said:
Haha, you guys are funny. Changing the PCV was easy as just yanking it out and replacing it. The O2 sensor looks really easy as well. Disconnect, cut splice, replace with new sensor. Total cost for PCV and O2 = $34.
O2 sensor for $34 where?

·
Registered
76 Posts
universal O2 sensor from autozone only costs like $30. You will need to splice the harness from the old sensor tho. it really wasn't that hard and only required basic tools.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts