Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not race one yet myself, but a dude from Quebec City at vvti.net raced his friend's 2003 Celica GT-S ( both good stick shift drivers) and here is what he said the results were:

0-120 KM/H and 0 - 160 KM/H - Corolla XRS won all 4 times

60 - 140 KM/H - Celica won 3 times and XRS won once mainly because the Celica guy misshifted.

According to him the strong low end torque in the first two gears for the XRS makes a big difference at launch time and the XRS pulls stronger at the top of the power band ( over 7000 rpm). If both of them start in lift over 20 mph then the GT-S will win. The GT-S wins on a race track as well because of better handling. It has been proven at side by side dyno tests that the 180 HP 2ZZ and 170 HP 2ZZ on 03 and 05 Matrix XRS put out the same power to the wheels with the 170 HP having an advantage of stronger low end torque.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, the new VVTL-i is pretty impressive. C/D found the Celica (with the older VVTL-i) to get 0-60mph in 7.3, and they got 7.0-7.1 with the XRS, and the latter test was at altitude.

With my stock XRS, I KNOW that I'm doing 0-60 in less than 7 seconds...

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the cars I have beaten so far:

Honda Civic Si modded 1993
Ford Probe GT V6 170 HP
Jetta 1.8 Turbo ( NOT the TDI..LOL)
Toyota Avalon XLE V6 ( grand pa car with shiploads of torque).

No losses yet, but a Mustang GT tried to race me to probably impress his blonde girlfriend after I did a downshift and the car pulled very strongly, but I never responded since he would have murdered me anyways
:lol:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
i have a hard time believing this..... as the xrs boasts upper 15 second 1/4 mile and the celica gts i've heard of stock times in the low 15's..... and i would assume the celica to be lighter.....

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corolla XRS can do quarter mile in the mid to low 15 secs easily. The high 15 sec quarter mile was only one test done by car and driver magazine at high alttitudes where acceleration is poor. Furthermore, car and driver tested the quarter mile for Celica GT-S as 15.6 secs as opposed to 15.8 secs on XRS and the XRS test was done in difficult conditions.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, s/c Corolla S has an advantage of stronger low end torque with only slightly less HP than the XRS, but it achieves it much quicker than the XR. A race was done with a Matrix XRS where the s/c Corolla S took the 0-60, but the Matrix pulled stronger at the top end. Not sure how Corolla XRS vs s/c Corolla S would go since Corollas are generally 200 pounds lighter than the Matrix. I would say the s/c has an advantage over the XRS, but we will have to wait and see and frankly the people with s/c deserve it as well and I would be happy to see them win since they spend a lot more money and efforts to get the s/c done completely whereas, we XRS guys just take what the factory gives us.....LOL

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
^

silver04rollas said:
frankly the people with s/c deserve it as well and I would be happy to see them win since they spend a lot more money and efforts to get the s/c done completely whereas, we XRS guys just take what the factory gives us.....LOL
:slap: :slap: :slap: :banhim: :D

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am digrace to the XRS club :D I should be deported to the s/c Corolla S club for siding with them :p:

·
Registered
Scion XA
655 Posts
i'm not completly sure on cost but to me the supercharged corolla s is cheaper in the long run. based on payments and insurance not to mention base prices in all. correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the xrs have to use premium at the pump?

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
dexter_5000 said:
i'm not completly sure on cost but to me the supercharged corolla s is cheaper in the long run. based on payments and insurance not to mention base prices in all. correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the xrs have to use premium at the pump?
If you supercharge, it's also advisable to use premium...

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
yeah, insurance is a bitch...

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My insurance for my previous Corolla S is exactly the same as my 05 Corolla XRS, which is super low considering I have a year and a half of driving experience. Not surprisingly a Civic Coupe EX with probably 50 less HP and far less performance has a higher insurance rates than my XRS. The reason being, 4 doors, the Corolla name badge, family car reputation, great security system installed etc. My insurance company does not care if it has a Celica GT-S engine and tranny etc. as long as it has four doors on it....LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
have u guys tried racing a v8 like a camaro? i tried to once but i can never get that 'take off' to be as fast as i want to .... (only been drivin stick shift for 5 months)....camaro beat me and i was ..dAMMITTT..... <--needs shifting-racin lessons/tips

·
Registered
26 Posts
dexter_5000 said:

Insurance for me is $50 a month for full coverage with the XRS, which is LESS than the insurance for any other car I have had. If you get the side air bags, the insurance could be even less.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your XRS and s/c rollas? Mine is brand new and on my last tank I got about 28 mpg, under some pretty spirited driving conditions. :D They say they get BETTER with age?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am getting around 27-29 mpg with mix driving and not hitting lift since I have not broken in yet (1200 KM). Believe it or not, it is almost the same as my previous Corolla S auto, which is surprising since it is a high revving, high performance engine. It gets better and usually from my experience, Corollas peak out their gas mileage at around 7000 KM ( approx. 5000 miles). I would guess, it will get around 30 - 32 mpg at it's peak.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, silver, yours is even newer than mine... I got about 1200 miles already, and the lift is INCREDIBLE. It seems that it gets the most power at the redline, above the listed 7600rpm. What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I have hit lift about 11-13 times in the previous 1200 KM. :D The Toyota tech told me that I should occassionally hit lift and use the full rev range for the car to break in properly. Anyway, yeah when I hit lift I took it close to the rev limiter at 8500 rpm and bounced off the rev limiter a few times, but yeah the car never stops pulling till the rev limiter kicks in. That is funny. Although, the peak power is at 7600 rpm. The reason why you get the illusion that it pulls stronger past 7600 rpm is because is still in lift and as the revs build, the burst of power makes the car keep accelerating rather than the lift simply shutting down. I would guess the curve is flat after 7600 rpm and it maintains the peak power right uptil 8500 rpm. Even at 8500 rpm, it feels like it can go for another few hundred rpms and that the rev limiter is kicking in a bit too soon, but I would not change a thing. Nevertheless, it is very hard to keep yourself away from hitting lift. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
silver04rollas said:
when I hit lift I took it close to the rev limiter at 8500 rpm and bounced off the rev limiter a few times, but yeah the car never stops pulling till the rev limiter kicks in. That is funny. Although, the peak power is at 7600 rpm. The reason why you get the illusion that it pulls stronger past 7600 rpm is because is still in lift and as the revs build, the burst of power makes the car keep accelerating rather than the lift simply shutting down. I would guess the curve is flat after 7600 rpm and it maintains the peak power right uptil 8500 rpm.
I still don't get why Toyota says the peak is at 7600, though. Do you mean that they tuned the torque curve so that as rpms increased, the power would remain constant? It feels like more power above 7600, and torque is actually probably decreasing slightly. I wonder if they have understated the power a bit so that the XRS doesn't overshadow the last year of the Celica model.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts