Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I have an 87 gen 2 Camry. It's my first car and I'm starting to get into some mods. I have a 2" Lukey exhaust, but other than that it's pretty stockers... Just wondering what perfomance mods you'd suggest that are actually worth the time and money? I got a pod filter for it the other day, but haven't mounted it yet - any advice? It's done a few k's and is a bit tired, but it's still got grunt when it matters. I was possibly thinking about a minor rebuild, but what performance benefits would there be? Also I've seen the celica 3S-GTE exhaust manifold fits the 3S-FE, anyone know what else needs to be done to successfully turbo the 2.0L? I guess that's a lot but comment away, I'd love all the input I can get... :)

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,289 Posts
If it's a 5 speed, then you should buy my lightweight flywheel. :D

It's a one off Clutchmasers piece you will not find anywhere else.

As far as the 3sfe is concerned, there is a lot you can do and yes the 3sgte manifold fits the engine. But of course, the 3sgte can just be swapped into the car also. You can also swap in the 3sfe from the Curren. That is an extremely easy swap or you can put in the 3sge from the Celica/MR2.

You can also build up the 3sfe with headwork, cams, bolt ons, etc. On my 90, I have a lightweight flywheel, header, CAI, shortshifter, Celica GTS tranny, Plugs/wires, Underdrive Pulley, Custom exhaust, ACT clutch, etc. Needless to say, the car is a lot faster than stock. :thumbup:

·
Grenaded piston
6,626 Posts
^ I heard my name.

To turbo a 3S-FE you need:

Stock 3S-GTE turbo manifold from a Celica All Trac / GT4 or MR2 Turbo.

Toyota CT-26 turbo (bolts right up to the manifold). If you use different turbo like I did, you need a adapter.

Oil lines.

Piping.

Fuel and ignition management.

Intercooler. Recommended, but not required if your running low boost.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,164 Posts
userlain said:
"Fuel and ignition management."

I don't exactly get this part. A new ECU?
It can mean any number of things. Start searching! There is a ton of information out there on the general steps to turbocharging a car...

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey
Thanks heaps for all your imput - i appreciate it. Unfortunately I ended up kissing a 2003 Subaru Liberty in traffic yesterday and so I'll need a new front end before doing any engine mods.. It could've been a lot worse, the Lib will only need a new rear bumper, but i did all my lights, the bumper and a few panels. I was pretty lucky that the bonnet and side panels are still good but it's gonna set me back around $1100 AUS (not sure american - roughly $700-800 i dunno) but it definitely pushes back any plans for mods...
Thanks for your replies anyway, those turbo gen 2's are WICKED

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually come to think of it I could still fit my POD filter that I have already purchased... Has anyone done a filter on the gen 2's? I got some ideas on how I'm gonna mount it but i have a mate who is a lot more cluey about cars andhe reckons you gotta be careful with turblence and stuff or something? I dunno but any advice for a pod filter?

·
Grenaded piston
6,626 Posts
^ You need a afm (air flow meter) adapter.

This is what it looks like:

AFM:

Unbolt the afm from the top of the airbox (4 nuts), unbolt the airbox (a few bolts at the bottom of the box), bolt up the afm adapter, and install the filter on the end of the adapter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man hey... That's kinda what I had in mind except maybe incorporating a heat shield or something in there, sectioning off the strut tower to the battery, to get colder air intake... good idea or not worth it? The other thing i was thinking about was which direction i should face it in? if you put the small end of the cone towards the side of the engine bay, you only really get efficient airflow through the side of your filter, when the inverted cone on the inside is pretty much going to waste sucking from the wall... Make sense? I was thinking more about angling it towards the front of the car to get better flow, but I'm worried about too many angles between the filter and the engine restricting airflow....

·
Grenaded piston
6,626 Posts
thermo_47 said:
Thanks man hey... That's kinda what I had in mind except maybe incorporating a heat shield or something in there, sectioning off the strut tower to the battery, to get colder air intake... good idea or not worth it?
Building a heatshield around the filter would work. But, thats no different then running a stock airbox, except you'd be using a open filter.

You could build a cold air intake. The filter would then sit inside the fender.

Cold air intake
--------------------

Filter sits inside here
-------------------------------

How to make your own cold air intake:

http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/howto/coldAirIntake/default.asp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.