Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im new to this forum so bear with me!

im lookin for a performance exhaust for my 2002 camry. its got the 4banger in it. i was just going to throw a "fart can" on it but i decided first id check and see if there are any cat-back systems available for my car. why throw a $30 POS can on a car that has this much value.

i checked ebay with zero luck. i think borla makes a system for me but i cant find it anywhere!

thanks in advance guys

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
I'm not positive but I think a TRD exhaust is just a Borla. There's also Magnaflow, Greddy, Apex-i.... just search and you'll find what you need.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
they don't make performance exhaust for the gen 5s =/ They DID make the BORLA exhaust but they stopped production on that. the TRD one is available. It's a muffler. Sounds great but might cost a pretty penny.

As far as performance. I've heard that you should get a new Y Pipe in the exhaust system, and ditch the cats.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
depens on how much youre willing to spend.

get aftermarket a/f tuning hardware first, then some headers, then the muffler.

or just get a muffler if you want a more sporty sound.

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sporty sound would be a plus but what im looking for is more power and better gas mileage. could i put the fart can on, remove the cats, beat out the insides and put them back on without burning my valves up?

im new to this whole car thing, lol. im mostly a dirtbike/ atv guy but captian toyota pointed me here, and i like it so far

·
Registered
376 Posts
what u mean by beat out the header ? like hammer it out to make it bigger ? cause that wouldn't work. u want a smooth piping so that air flows through them easily. if u want to do a whole exhaust, get ur fart can, then start from headers (find some aftermarket company or do a custom), then the cats, then the cat back.

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AyzhenInvasion said:
what u mean by beat out the header ? like hammer it out to make it bigger ? cause that wouldn't work. u want a smooth piping so that air flows through them easily. if u want to do a whole exhaust, get ur fart can, then start from headers (find some aftermarket company or do a custom), then the cats, then the cat back.
sorry i should have been more clear, i mean taking the guts of the cats out. as far as headers, what companies make them more my motor. ive seen them for the 6 cylinder but i dont think ive seen any for mine

thanks guys

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
Where did you see headers for a V6 camry?

·
Registered
376 Posts
i only found one, by ripp mod.
http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_list_details.asp?menuid=3&productId=218

its 2.25 inch, meaning u have to get a 2.25 inch cat back or do a custom which also means a 2.25 inch fart can.

ur welcomed to search some by urself :p
good luck

depending on the type of catalytic converter u get, they run around 50 - 100, which isn't really that much.. so might as well get a new one imo.
so start from header, and go step by step all the way back to ur fart can

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Super Kaioken said:
Where did you see headers for a V6 camry?
on ebay i belive.

ill try doing some searching on my own. thanks alot guys!:D

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
theMANry said:
on ebay i belive.

ill try doing some searching on my own. thanks alot guys!:D
yeah, stock ones.

im pretty sure JP or someone made headers for like a fraction of a second... Liverpool Exhausts in australia have headers/ypipe for less then 800AUD (but this is for the 3vz) but will require a/f tuning as the new o2 sensor location is different from the original (its further away from the block)

unless you plan on pushing 300+HP, or you have your own workshop, you can make power elsewhere, keeping the stock logs, but maybe just clean em up with a grinder a bit inside.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
The only company that makes headers for the 4cyl Gen 5 is JPP, and they make it made-to-order. So it costs $400. 05Cam-Weasel has a set, and I'm planning on contacting them about a set of headers sometime soon as well. As far as a/f tuning as terrastrife said, its a waste of money unless you're putting in a turbo or a supercharger. As far as increasing gas milage with an exhaust, I think you're looking in the wrong direction. Exhausts decrease milage, and really don't add much power unless you've got a turbo or supercharger. Also, there are no catback systems made for our cars. Borla used to make an axle-back system, which was discontinued a few months ago. Now, the only bolt-on muffler made for the Gen 5 is the TRD muffler, which I have.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
The only company that makes headers for the 4cyl Gen 5 is JPP, and they make it made-to-order. So it costs $400. 05Cam-Weasel has a set, and I'm planning on contacting them about a set of headers sometime soon as well. As far as a/f tuning as terrastrife said, its a waste of money unless you're putting in a turbo or a supercharger. As far as increasing gas milage with an exhaust, I think you're looking in the wrong direction. Exhausts decrease milage, and really don't add much power unless you've got a turbo or supercharger. Also, there are no catback systems made for our cars. Borla used to make an axle-back system, which was discontinued a few months ago. Now, the only bolt-on muffler made for the Gen 5 is the TRD muffler, which I have.
a/f+ignition tunings cheaper then an exhasut system and weild 2-3x more performance and economy.

a good exhaust will increase mileage though more efficenttedness (lol word) less engine stress/load = less fuel consumption, now if you end up driving hard you wont. also most intake/exhasut mods will lean out a/f a TINY bit, which is good for a yota too.

cough. apexi and greddy make cat backs for camrys. but youre ebtter off if you want the brand name to just get one of thei universal mufflers and custom make the rest.

·
Registered
376 Posts
ahh sorry i totally messed up. yeah.. what they both said ^
if ur not using forced induction or having serious power mods, stock exhaust should be fine. prolly gut out ur catylic converter or a new one.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
terrastrife said:
cough. apexi and greddy make cat backs for camrys.
Not for the Gen 5.

Also, I've known people that've tuned their N/A cars with an SAFC-II and they got 1 or 2 horses out of it... thats it.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
Not for the Gen 5.

Also, I've known people that've tuned their N/A cars with an SAFC-II and they got 1 or 2 horses out of it... thats it.
someone needs a bang on the head if they cant tune that. us older cars are getting more then that with linear a/f ratio tuning though our afm spring tension =)

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
terrastrife said:
a/f+ignition tunings cheaper then an exhasut system and weild 2-3x more performance and economy.

a good exhaust will increase mileage though more efficenttedness (lol word) less engine stress/load = less fuel consumption, now if you end up driving hard you wont. also most intake/exhasut mods will lean out a/f a TINY bit, which is good for a yota too.

cough. apexi and greddy make cat backs for camrys. but youre ebtter off if you want the brand name to just get one of thei universal mufflers and custom make the rest.

maybe i'll get better gas mileage with an SRI or CAI?

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok what i think im going to do is the fart can with a gutted cat. as far is installing the can, i noticed that the stock muffler is bolted on to the rest of the system. so i think im going to cut just before the flange with a Sawzall and weld a 45degree bend from napa, wich will then connect to the can with a few tack welds and an exhuast clamp. then comes the task of making a hanger. i was thinking of cutting the stock hanger off the muffler and welding it to the new can so i can hang it to the factory mounting points.

what do ya'll think? im open to suggestions

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
hangers are easy, just a small steel bar and hammer it to the right shape. the stock camry muffler is huuge so theres plenty of room.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts